Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Reciprocity Timer 1.0

Do or do not. There is no try.

Re: Reciprocity Timer 1.0

As I've given a little more thought to a reciprocity-compensated meter, I've realize that to be really useful the meter would need to be much more sensitive than any on the market today. I don't see that happening, but will pursue with Sekonic nevertheless.

I'm also a big fan of simple meters, and have both analog and digital Pentax models. But if I have to make a reading with gadget A, then transfer the info and push some buttons on gadget B, I don't see that life would be worse if gadget A had the optional capability to do the work of gadget B.

I don't want to get into an argument, I'm just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Goldstein View Post
    As I've given a little more thought to a reciprocity-compensated meter, I've realize that to be really useful the meter would need to be much more sensitive than any on the market today. I don't see that happening, but will pursue with Sekonic nevertheless.

I'm also a big fan of simple meters, and have both analog and digital Pentax models. But if I have to make a reading with gadget A, then transfer the info and push some buttons on gadget B, I don't see that life would be worse if gadget A had the optional capability to do the work of gadget B.

I don't want to get into an argument, I'm just saying...
    No argument--just an aspect you might not have considered. It seems to me that reciprocity failure varies quite a lot over different films, and including it in a meter would require some way to enter the film type as well. Keeping that sort of data on the meter seems to me a hassle.

If you have pull with Sekonic, get them to reissue the L-488 with a low price tag.

(By the way, in looking at the meter in my Canon 5D, it does seem to have built in the reciprocity failure of the sensor in its calculation. I discovered this comparing it to a traditional meter. But it should tell you that your idea makes a lot of sense--if you know what film you are using.)

Rick "who'd rather have two simple and fool-proof gadgets than one that can be easily programmed wrong" Denney

LJ Segil

Just happy to have bought your app and support all your good work.
    LJS
    ?Porta 160 and 400?

Great work, thank you.
    I have been toying with mine for ideas to improve but you have beat me to them!
    Looking forward to the bellows draw addition and the T films.

Quote Originally Posted by Boinzo View Post
    Ok - I'll roll it up at 5mm increments. It just makes it easier to use.

The first slider is filter factor -yes. I agree a table would be nice. Some of those features will be part of a bigger app I have in mind that will incorporate this functionality. It'll take a bit longer to do though!

The updated version wont be available until Apple approves it. That usually takes 5-7 days. Once it's approved it'll just appear as an update within App Store on your phone and you'll be able to install it from there.

Hi Again! I just wanted to let everyone know that it's taken me a little longer to get the update submitted to Apple than I had hoped. The app got a lot more complicated this week and it took me some time to finish and to completely test it. It is now submitted to Apple so I hope you will be getting the update soon.

The new version now includes an editable table of common photographic filters. This is accessed by touching the little notepad icon. You can select a filter and edit its details to suit your needs. So if you know that your CPL requires 1.4 stops of compensation you can enter that in and the app will remember that value. You can then apply your CPL to the reciprocity calculation. You can move back and forth between the main screen and the table adding as many filters as you want (or to clear them all out of the calculation).

As I said it also now includes bellows extension, lots more films and the ability to add manual compensation in whole, 1/2 or 1/3 stops increments.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and the supportive comments.

BTW: With respect to Portra films - I couldn't find much on reciprocity for these. But what I did find seemed to indicate that you could probably use the calculation for Efke B+W film and come out pretty close.

Here's some screen grabs of the new app....

thanks a lot for this boinzo, please let us know when apple accepts it!

Do or do not. There is no try.

I just downloaded rev 1.1 from Apple. It looks great. Thank you.

Are the arrow, plus, and times buttons supposed to have different functions on the filter page? They all seem to revert back to the main timer.

Hi Steve.
    Yeah - I just saw Apple had approved it. Hooray.

The Back Arrow button just takes you back to the main page. It does nothing else.

The Plus button adds the currently selected filter's exposure factor into your maths and then goes back. You will see the filter and its factor appear on the main page. If you go back and forth between the filter list and the main screen pressing the plus you can add more than one filter to the exposure.

The X Button removes all filters from your exposure calculation so you can start over.

When you have a filter selected you can hit the pencil icon to make edits to it. So you can rename the filters and modify their exposure factors to more closely match what you use.

Enjoy.

Lachlan 717

Boinzo,

Thanks for the App.

One (hopefully not too stupid) question: What is the difference in the Velvia 50 tabs (filtered/unfiltered)?

Thanks.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Hi Lachlan. You're welcome!
    There are no stupid questions!

I had 2 sets of maths and figures. One (filtered) is if you have a colour-correction filter attached to deal with Velvia's known colour shift on long exposures. The other is if you don't.
    Hope that makes sense!