Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire Chains

Tire Chains

I will have a brief trip to Yosemite in November. I have read that I should use/have tire chains at that time of year. I don't have chains, have never used them, and will be driving a rental SUV.

What do I need to know? Thanks.

Re: Tire Chains

Can't you just rent them for the car rental company?
    Juergen

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    I will have a brief trip to Yosemite in November. I have read that I should use/have tire chains at that time of year. I don't have chains, have never used them, and will be driving a rental SUV.

Hope this will be of help:

http://www.rubicon-trail.com/jeep101/chains.html

-Leon

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post

Practice putting them on about 5 times before you NEED to put them on. Use them on front and rear axles. Don't go over about 20mph with them on.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Drew Wiley

Yosemite Valley is fairly low altitude, so it's quite rare that you'd need chains in Nov.
    Once in awhile in late Dec thru Feb perhaps. Tioga Pass is the only high entrance, and
    is usually closed anyway at the beginning of Nov. Sometimes the long road between
    the south entrance past Wawona and the Glacier Pt turnoff is snowed up for a few
    days, but I wouldn't worry too much about going in from Mariposa and El Portal, though
    that approach is temporarily closed at the moment due to a forest fire. You can call ahead for road conditions. More likely, in Nov you're going to get some nice fall color
    in and around the Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Practice putting them on about 5 times before you NEED to put them on. Use them on front and rear axles. Don't go over about 20mph with them on.
    No kidding about the practice. You'll be glad you did. Also, chains come in two basic types--actual chain material and a slim version that looks like it is made of super-thick picture hanging wire. The latter is used for cars, especially those that have little clearance between fender and tire.

They make a fair amount of noise so don;t worry about that unless you hear a repeated banging sound--probably a loose bit hitting your car body. Stop and fix.

Don't buy anywhere near the pass or you'll pay $$$. The Wal-Mart and similar stores near the mountains all carry an extensive selection of chains.

Finally, as you approach a pass there will be a pull-over area for you to put them on. There will/might also be guys offering to put your chains on for you for $$$. Seems like it was $20, if I recall. Sometimes, especially in freezing, wet weather that might be well worth it.

--Darin

Preston Birdwell

"There will/might also be guys offering to put your chains on for you for $$$. Seems like it was $20, if I recall. Sometimes, especially in freezing, wet weather that might be well worth it."

This is a good idea. On state highways, chain installers are required to be licensed by (I believe) the CA Highway Patrol and must carry liability insurance. Be sure to check for this.

The car rental agency should be able to tell you which type of chain to use; either 'real' chains or cables. Make sure they are tight after installing them. On cars with ABS, a loose chain can damage the sensor(s)--not good. (Don't ask me how I know this. :-) )

October/November is the time when California's weather is making the transition to winter patterns, so conditions in the mountains can change rapidly. I've seen snow on the valley floor as early as late October. The key is to be prepared.

Have fun!

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

I agree to ask the rental company for them. And read the vehicle owner's manual on the use of AWD/4WD to know when to use each mode of driving. Some vehicles, like mine, with axle/transfer locks describe the road conditions and driving modes w/wo chains, and express caution when to use full lock and when to use chains. I agree it's unlikely you'll need them but check NPS rules on carrying them.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

I only ever use chains when I want to get an extra 10 miles into the bush before I get the truck so badly stuck that I have to walk out.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

If the rental vehicle comes with quality snow tires, like Michelin Alpin studless or normal studded, then you won't have a problem. However, I doubt that a rental agency would have seasonal tires mounted on a vehicle.

The cheap cable-type chains break easily, and then proceed to whack the vehicle with the loose cable or else break off entirely from the tire. I use Laclede chains, and I'm happy with them.