Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savannah, GA

Savannah, GA

I'm visiting Savannah, Georgia for two days this upcoming weekend. It is a holiday weekend so it'll probably be busy, but I'm still going to be out and about with a 4x5.

If you've got any suggestions for photo material I'm all ears. I've been several times before (but not with a 4x5) and I will definitely be hitting the usual spots - River Street, the cathedral and cemeteries...but I'd love to know about any lesser-known spots. I've heard that the Telfair Museum has some nice architecture. I don't have a lot of time to "explore" so I'm trying to get some ideas beforehand!

Thanks
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Re: Savannah, GA

I've always had fun at the old forts, Pulaski and Jackson. You should be able to find the info on Google for these. Jackson is the oldest of the two and is less well known than Pulaski.

There are some photogenic old graveyards/cemeteries in Georgia.

Bonaventure in Savannah is an excellent example, and has some awesome stonework.

// Wally

Ships of the Sea – Maritime Museum Scarbrough House
    http://shipsofthesea.org/pages/house

Beautiful huge model ships in an elegant mansion. Many photo ops

John

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

Lots of old churches and architecture and quite a few monument circles... Nice little wildlife refuge just north of town / might bring a tiny format camera! just for fun

Simply walk around the old section of town. There's material on any block for photography.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    I'm visiting Savannah, Georgia for two days this upcoming weekend.

If you've got any suggestions for photo material I'm all ears. I've been several times before (but not with a 4x5) and I will definitely be hitting the usual spots - River Street, the cathedral and cemeteries...but I'd love to know about any lesser-known spots. I've heard that the Telfair Museum has some nice architecture. I don't have a lot of time to "explore" so I'm trying to get some ideas beforehand!

Thanks
    I wouldn't waste my time on the Telfair Museum nor Forts Pulaski and Jackson on a 2 day trip.

Since you have only two days I would concentrate on the historic district. IMO, Cathedral of St. John the Baptist should not be missed, inside and out. Laurel Grove cemetery has the single most iconic statuary there. I'm looking at a photograph of it now in my living room. Bonaventure will have the most Gothic statuary. You can spend an entire day photography in either of these historic graveyards. There are 5 cemeteries in Savannah, each have their own "personality" and opportunities for photographs.

Since you live close to Savannah plan on returning for more photography. It's easy to get saturated with all of the historic buildings and homes. When that happens I tend to photograph architectural details.

If you want a real challenge drive out to Tybee Is. and see if you can find the best composition of the Tybee Is. lighthouse. There is really only one but I'll let you discover it.

Forsyth Park and the fountain there also offer an opportunity for interesting photographs. Although not likely at this time of the year, fog can create a very interesting element to your photographs. Also take advantage of the over hanging live oak canopy and Spanish moss as elements in your photographs whenever you can, they are unique and can frame subjects.

Don't be surprised if a view camera attracts some attention from passers by or tourists. Sometimes they can be an interesting diversion but other times they can behave like assholes demanding that you spend your time talking about your camera. Once I had some German tourists spot my 8x10 and they were very intrigued by the camera. I couldn't speak German nor they English but when I pointed to my Schneider lens I could tell by the reaction they were impressed, "Ohh, Schneider!, Yah!"

Best time to photograph, 7-10:30 AM, 3 till dusk. Eat late dinners and take advantage of the late evening light.

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Don, I am definitely going to focus a large chunk of time for St. John. Do you know if they are okay with tripods? I will check out Forsyth Park, I hadn't heard of it.

I am probably going to Tybee too, if time permits.

By the way, thanks for that grain focuser, I didn't find it till a couple days ago using that box for something else!!

Last year I did a one-day whirlwind tour of Savannah armed with a Nikon D90 and F5, I am really excited about this trip.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Do you know if they are okay with tripods?
    I think they will but no spiked tripod feet.

By the way, thanks for that grain focuser, I didn't find it till a couple days ago using that box for something else!!
    Glad you found it.

I was there several years ago, and they had a train museum, at the time, they were trying to tie into the main line to run excursions. Its near the historic district, and most everything is outside.

Wayne