Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: non field camers for hiking?

Re: non field camers for hiking?

I agree with Daniel. If you want the ease of use and other capabilities of a monorail in the field, you simply cannot beat the ARCA-SWISS F-Line. It's a true system camera, so you can configure it to meet your specific needs. Perhaps you have one configuration for backpacking that can handle lightweight, compact lenses from 150mm - 450mm on 110mm boards, and then another configuration that handles longer, larger, heavy portrait lenses on 171mm boards in the studio. The 8x10 ARCA-SWISS F-line can easily be configured to handle both (or any other) applications just by swapping a couple modular components.

Configured for field use, you can get the weight in the 9 - 10 lb. range. That's not ultralight for an 8x10, but it's not heavy, either (about 3 lb. less than a Deardorff).

Kerry

Quote Originally Posted by michael slade View Post
    Canham 8x10
    Not a mono rail, but if allowed, then also RH Phillips

John

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    "I've used an 8x10 Arca F-Line, and it, IMO, is the best monorail for field use, Period."

But that doesn't mean that you have seen or handled all the others, does it?
    I've seen and handled most, and agree with Daniel. when it comes to using an 8x10 monorail for hiking and backpacking nothing beats the ARCA-SWISS F-Line system. IMHO, nothing else even comes close.

Sure, ultralight monorails like the 8x10 Gowland and Toho are lighter, but they aren't nearly as versatile, configurable or easy to use as the ARCA-SWISS F-Line. The Sinar F series rivals the ARCA-SWISS F-Line in versatility, but is heavier and MUCH bulkier than the ARCA. So, that makes it much less desirable for hiking and backpacking.

So Bob, if not the ARCA-SWISS F-Line (which I assume you've tried) what 8x10 monorail would you recommend for the OP's application of hiking and backpacking? Is there something that offers all the same capabilities that folds down smaller and lighter than the ARCA-SWISS F-Line that the rest of us have all missed? If there is please let us know, because I'm sure a lot of people would be eager to purchase such a marvelous camera.

Kerry

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    Centuries ago certain religious orders engaged in the practice of self-flagellation. The handful of people who use 8x10 monorails for backpacking are their lineal descendants.
    Amen.
    I had to re-read the OP to make sure that "810 monorail" and "backpacking" were being used together.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Amen.
    I had to re-read the OP to make sure that "810 monorail" and "backpacking" were being used together.
    Two of the lightest 8x10 cameras ever made (perhaps THE two lightest), the Gowland and the Toho are monorails. When most people hear "monorail", they tend to picture a big, heavy studio camera, but that isn't always the case. In it's lightest configuration, the Gowland weighs about 4.4 lbs. Can anyone here name an 8x10 wooden field camera that's lighter?

Kerry

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry L. Thalmann View Post
    I've seen and handled most, and agree with Daniel. when it comes to using an 8x10 monorail for hiking and backpacking nothing beats the ARCA-SWISS F-Line system. IMHO, nothing else even comes close.
    +1 to what Daniel and Kerry said. If I could afford one of the Arcas, I'd have one.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Vanannan

I remember a saying which goes as follows:- 'Gone are the days when the ships were built of wood and men were made of steel', I suppose you could use this for large format cameras, well almost

Deardorff Sales and service

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    Centuries ago certain religious orders engaged in the practice of self-flagellation. The handful of people who use 8x10 monorails for backpacking are their lineal descendants.
    Does that mean that Da Vinci Code author Dan Brown should add to his next book hikers in the mountains with tripods over their sholders and monorails tied to them with leather straps so the cameras may swing too and fro whipping the carriers back?
    I've seen one of them in the Indiana Dunes. I offered to clean his sinar after everything jammed up. (He got caught in the wind. I was using my V8 Deardorff with a barrel lens and a ND filter and no shutter) I won.
    Ken Hough Deardorff Refinisher since 1982
    Deardorff Factory refinisher / remanufacturer 1982-88
    Deardorff Factory Historian 82-88
    Deardorff Cameras on Facebook
    www.deardorffcameras.0catch.com

Another plus for the ARCA-SWISS F-Line. Due to the modular nature of the system, it's easy to disassemble, clean and reassemble in the field - no tools required. The focusing tracks are right there, on top of the rail sections, easily cleaned with rag or brush. And, the function carries can easily be slid off the ends of the rails, exposing the drive gear (pinion) for easy cleaning.

That said, in over 10 years, including a lot of shooting in the desert SW and the Oregon Coast, I have never once had to resort to cleaning my any of my ARCA-SWISS cameras in the field. I'm just pointing out it could be done, quite easily, if needed.

Kerry

Joshua Tree, California

Rodney uses and Arca Swiss but he's also shooting with medium format digital. Bob Salomon is obviously in denial.