Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Fred Picker

Fred Picker

After 18 years respite from photography I have recently started looking through a lens. This evening I seached my bookcase and browsed Mr Pickers dog-eared book Zone VI Workshop, 8th printing 1979 , this book was my constant as I learned the Zone system. I still have a couple of letters and my first lens/camers calibration results from Mr. Picker. As I sat this evening with the excitment of returning to my old hobby it occured to me that I may get up-to-date information on Mr. Picker and the Zone VI Studios - I did. I did not know him other than his work and the inspiration he gave me but somehow I feel the loss of an old friend. Peter Corbett - London 8th May 2002

Fred Picker

Sad loss to the medium.

May he rest in peace.

Fred Picker

Like one of the above named contributors (Peter Corbett) I have been away from (large format) photograpy for some years. This spring I have taken it up again and Fred Picker's words ? though I never met him (but I have read all of his newsletters and some of his books, not to mention the Zone VI catalogues) have been ringing in my ears: "Focus on the far"; "If you're in a hurry, dress slowly"; "If someone told me Ansel printed wearing fishing boots, I'd try it"; "The Callier effect is not a theory, it's an effect"; "Don't take my word for it, try it", and so on. It's so sad to hear that he is gone. Knowing he has passed away makes me sad and I am going to miss him almost as I would a dear friend. Thanks to Mr. Ritter for letting us know! Kristian R?stad, Oslo, Norway.

Scott Davis

Fred Picker

what a sad realization, indeed. to think that fred is no longer walking *this* sphere is a hard pill to swallow, but a necessary one nonetheless. i heard of his passing after returning from a trip to scotland, where i had thought a lot about fred, his images, and his impact upon me. it was doubly strange that my reading material for the 11 hour flight was a stack of 20 years worth of newsletters. he will be missed like few others i know.

cheers to you fred!

scott davis

Fred Picker

I never met Fred, but I loved those catalogs and the idea that I was dealing with a small company with a single goal. A company that seemed to have a heart and a soul, and a lifetime gaurantee that really was just that.

When I purchased a Zone VI 4x5 I did not realize how many people it would attract. Once in Yosemite a young boy asked if he could look through my camera. I did not realize that he was part of a school field trip and instantly thirty more children had lined up behind him. I have the same experience almost everytime I set the camera up. People are drawn to it and ask questions about the camera and photography in general. It sort of makes the owner of a Zone VI camera an embassador of photography. That is not a bad legacy!

Fred, you did a good job my friend. I am toasting you with a glass of a very good Merlot tonight.

How is the light in Heaven?

How is Ansel?

Fred Picker

I never met Fred but have always considered him a friend. His contribution to photography will long be remembered.

Fred Picker

Picker will continue to influence people for many many many years. He was the genuine article. I attended 5 workshops, spent some of the most enjoyable times of my life around the man (and his coterie) and learned things that affect me every day. Who wouldn't love a guy that when a neighbors barking dog raged out of control day after day, records the dog and broadcasts it thru his stereo back at the neighbor! Then when confronted by the neighbor to restrain tha damn barking dog replied, "Me, I have no dog!" One of my only regrets is that I was outbid in my attempt to buy ZoneVI when Fred was ready to slow down. It would have been a fun ride! To those that couldn't attend his service but wanted to, be assured that Fred was honored with respect, with honor and a large dash of required irreverence. In a world of 8 zones of white to grey, Fred was rainbow.

Fred Picker

I just got off the phone with Alen MacWeeney who gave me the sad news of Fred's passing. If not for Fred and the Zone VI Workshops, I never would have met Alen and begun my career by assisting him in NY. I would also not have had the desire to visit and photograph in Iceland from which I have just returned. The man may have been a little abbrasive at times, but what a guy. And what a legacy he leaves. To this day I think of Fred almost every time I print an image. No chalk! No soot! Rest well Fred.

Fred Picker

Fred Picker's death is a loss to photography and to the many who learned from him through newsletters, books, fine prints, and workshops.

He taught me how to look at photographs, and he taught me how to print. I will be forever grateful.

I first learned of him and his approach to black and white photography in the early 70s through the original loose leaf ring binder version of Zone VI Workshop. The Putney school Zone VI workshops I attended in 1978 and 1989 were excellent. I was fortunate to purchase prints from Fred, Martin Tarter, and Dave Usher which I still treasure.

I will always remember some of his workshop admonitions such as:

"Don't be creative when you should be mechanical. Don't be mechanical when you should be creative."

"If you don't go too far, how do you know if you have gone far enough"

"Don't talk about it. TRY IT."

My last phone conversation with him was about a year ago and as usual he was interested, friendly, and helpful in answering my questions.

He is truly missed.

Walt Gower

Fred Picker

I too was a devoted reader and re-reader of Fred's materials, catalogues, newsletters, books. I haven't been able to get my hands on the videos. Any suggestions?

Through the years I'd seen a lot of Fred-bashing in print - some of it was almost brutal. I wonder if any of those who wrote such things will leave a similar legacy to the medium as Fred did.

RIP.