Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ansel Adams Gallery Yosemite

Re: Ansel Adams Gallery Yosemite

I have been visiting the valley (and gallery) annually or more for the past 20 or so years. There has never been a large number of AA's originals out at any one time, but it is always fun to find them in some corner of the gallery. Just a couple weeks ago there were three or four up, not his well-known images, but very lovely pieces. They were back by the Special Edition Prints.

The Ansel Adams Gallery is a retail establishment and wall space is a premium. It is nice to see a few vintage AA prints, but also some other works. There was a nice wall of John Sexton prints. And the posters, Special Edition prints and the Ink jet prints, other photographers' cataloges, books, jewelery and other knick-knack stuff. They have a bunch of stuff in there, including the tourists!

I suggest stopping by the Mumm Winery in Napa Valley -- they have a very long hallway of original AA prints -- a permanent collection of images of the California wine country. They also have second gallery of photographs which changes regularly.

I just read that AA's grandson, Matthew, has loaned 27 prints from his collection of his grandfathers' work to the MUMM's gallery:

http://mummnapa.com/visitmummnapa/ga...bitInformation

I have been in a couple of shows there and they do put on a very nice opening. Lots of sparkling wine, of course.

Vaughn

I second Vaughn's suggestion of the Mumm Winery for the next time you're in California. Also it's been my experience at the Ansel Adams Gallery in Yosemite that if you contact them ahead of time, you can get a showing in the print room of not only more of Ansel's work, but that of other talented and noted photographers, too. I don't know what their current policy is, so it would be wise to contact them ahead of time.

I also see on their web site this entry:

"Fine Print Tours – Spend an hour with our gallery curator viewing some of the Ansel Adams original photographs in our inventory. Evan Russel discusses the evolution of photography, Adams' personal artistic evolution, and answers questions. Highly recommended for aspiring to advanced collectors. Most Wednesdays at 3PM, be sure to check the calendar and call for information."

If you are going to Yosemite this fall, A small detour through Turlock:

Ansel Adams CALIFORNIA

September 10, 2011 - January 8, 2012

Carnegie Arts Center
    250 North Broadway
    Turlock, CA 95381

Telephone: 209-632-5731
    Hours: Wednesday - Sunday 10 am - 5 pm
    Admission Fee: $10 (member discounts apply)

The inaugural exhibition of the Carnegie Arts Center, Turlock, CA, will be Ansel Adams CALIFORNIA, according to Rebecca Phillips Abbott, Executive Director and Curator. Consisting of nearly 120 photographs by the internationally known photographer, this is the first exhibit to focus exclusively on the California works of Ansel Adams. "The show will include the iconic landscapes by Adams," says Ms. Abbott, "as well as agricultural and urban images and portraits, all in keeping with the California focus. Even those familiar with the photographs of Ansel Adams will find something new and exciting here." In addition to works by Adams, the show will also include memorabilia, such as the September 3, 1979 Time magazine cover picturing Adams, "The Master Eye," and the citation accompanying the Presidential Medal of Freedom, presented to Adams by President Jimmy Carter in 1980.

Curated by Jeanne Falk Adams, daughter-in-law of Ansel Adams, the exhibit will be on view from September 10, 2011 to January 8, 2012. Michael Adams, the photographer's son, will lecture on September 11 at 2 pm.

http://www.carnegieartsturlock.org/page25.html

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Vuillemenot View Post
    Most of the Ansel Adams prints in the AA Gallery are the special editions printed by Alan Ross. The few original AA prints in the gallery are all very small and not nearly of his best work, like "Moonrise Hernandez" or "Winter Sunrise Lone Pine"
    Wrong....

As Vaughn mentioned, wall space is at a premium and the staff like to rotate work regularly. Sure, there is a healthy back stock of SEPs on the floor and upstairs, but there is at any one time 80-100+ AA originals of various sizes in the fine print room (owned and consignments).

If there is something you'd like to see while you're at TAAG, ask to see if something is currently on hand. People were always shy about asking. Don't be.

CH

Another wonderful place to view original AA prints on the north coast:

http://www.alindergallery.com/

I will once again put in a plug for the Center for Creative Photography at the U of Arizona in Tucson. They have the AA archive and many AA prints are on display at any given time.

It is also possible to request viewing time to view a slection of prints of your choosing.

Besides AA, Edward Weston's archive is there as well as work by many other photographers that is well worth seeing.

By the way - just sort of a rant not directed at Zaitz - I am amazed by members here who indicate that they have never seen actual prints by the greats or potential greats (living or dead) because there are none "nearby". If you are fascinated by photographs, it seems a no-brainer to make pilgrimages to such collections as CCP. MOMA, etc. Such a trip, if well-planned, costs less that that sixth lens or third camera. End of diatribe

Quote Originally Posted by Will Whitaker View Post
    I second Vaughn's suggestion of the Mumm Winery for the next time you're in California. Also it's been my experience at the Ansel Adams Gallery in Yosemite that if you contact them ahead of time, you can get a showing in the print room of not only more of Ansel's work, but that of other talented and noted photographers, too. I don't know what their current policy is, so it would be wise to contact them ahead of time.

I also see on their web site this entry:

"Fine Print Tours – Spend an hour with our gallery curator viewing some of the Ansel Adams original photographs in our inventory. Evan Russel discusses..."
    ...And you can always ask to see my small box of prints (platinums and carbons) while you are there, too...

Is the Alinder Gallery still open?

Vaughn

I was there in 1995 and an employee asked me if I wanted to see some prints. I said sure but I couldn't afford to buy. He said no problem and I spent the next hour looking at print after print, large and small in the back room. What a nice guy.

Kevin Kolosky

If you want to look at a lot of prints by AA head to the stores and galleries in Santa Fe New Mexico. While there make sure and also check out the Georgia O'keefe Gallery as well.

You can take a drive up the road to Hernandez and see where Ansel made his famous Moonrize Photo as well.

Smile Re: Ansel Adams Gallery Yosemite

Is the Alinder Gallery still open?

Yes it is ... but they've moved to various spaces in Gualala over the years ... the current location is on their web site.