Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why I'm not worried about the demise of film

Drew Wiley

Re: Why I'm not worried about the demise of film

As far as stench is concerned, it's largely a matter of quantity... Therefore, with digital being so prevalent nowadays, it's logical to say it stinks the most! Likewise,
    cars put out a lot more smog nowadays than horses, though they aren't entirely
    innocent either (nor am I).

Thumbs up Re: Why I'm not worried about the demise of film

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Had a friend who walked into B&H not long ago to discuss the situation. They've drastically cut back their inventories of film and are pushing all kinds of electronics
    more heavily than ever. I still consider them a good source, but temporary shortages
    are inevitable. The are numerous other suppliers with better inventories. Except for
    my favorite 8X10 film sizes, I can simply walk into our local "camera store" here in town
    and buy just about every film I need either color of b&w up through 4x5. They have
    three or four freezers chock full of color film, plus black and white on the shelves.
    Still seems to be quite a demand around here.
    Indeed you are lucky to have such a "camera store" nearby with an ample stock of film.

Sturgeon's law - 90% of EVERYTHING is crap. There's a lot more digital than film photography these days, and 90% of both is crap.

Actually with film only being used by the relatively serious these days, for the most part, the percentage of crap in film is probably lower (but then you get the crowd who think light leaks and fuzzy plastic lenses are art just because they're unpredictable..) and that has some effect. But the biggest reason most crap is digital is because most imaging is digital now. There's plenty of good digital work too, even if the signal to noise ration (crap to not crap, as it were) is a bit higher than with film - but if it is, it's only a bit.

I dont diss digital. I just think of it as apples and oranges. No digital photo will ever replace a silver gelatin print or a calotype or an ambrotype precisely because theyre silver gelatin, calotype or ambrotype. That quality alone makes the unique, not better or worse, than a digital print. Similarly an oil painting cannot be replaced by a digital print precisely because it is a fundamentally different medium.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post

Actually with film only being used by the relatively serious these days, for the most part, the percentage of crap in film is probably lower
    Ah no. Just using film doesn't distinguish the shooter as a serious photographer. Just go look at some of the film only forum galleries. Actually I think the percentage of crap is higher there.

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    Ah no. Just using film doesn't distinguish the shooter as a serious photographer. Just go look at some of the film only forum galleries. Actually I think the percentage of crap is higher there.
    No, it doesn't necessarily mean they're much better. But aside from old people using the film camera they've had since the Nixon administration because that's all they know, film is more of a specific choice whereas digital is sort of the default. I'm not sure if the % of crap is any lower, but I thought it might be a tiny bit, like say 88% versus 90% crap to not-crap (ctnc ratio!)

Last week I saw a young girl, say 20, on the sidewalk with a Canon AE1 in as new condition. She told me she prefers film to digital, and likes to work in the darkroom.

The more youg'uns that get bitten by the film/darkroom bug, the better.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

I tried to get my 15 yo daughter to come to the darkroom last evening to make a couple paper negatives, but she begged out. "I'm just not interested". She loves digital, but she also liked the image I got from the paper neg.

I don't think that, as a general thing, young people are learning to be patient. Everything that is marketed to them is instant gratification, it seems. Doing things in the darkroom takes time, downloading a bunch of digital images is instant, or near enough.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Drew Wiley

Well, I know a number of younger people who are giving up on digital and using film
    cameras, whatever size they can afford. Maybe just the grass is green on the other side syndrome. But what's holding them up is more related to real estate - where do
    you put a darkroom? And there are just a handful of rental darkrooms around, which
    ain't as convenient. Or maybe each generation just rebels against their elders. You
    know, back in our day it was left-wing lunatics and "revolution"; now it's right-wing
    wackos and "jihad". Back then it was long hair and Kirk-style bellbottoms; now it's
    baggy pants and skinheads. I know a guy my age still going around in 60's hippie attire
    and lamenting how his son wears a suit and doesn't even smoke pot with him. So it is
    inevitable that when this digital generation itself grows up, their own children will be
    coating glass plates and mixing albumen emulsion.