Thread: Convert Gamma 1.8 to 2.2

Convert Gamma 1.8 to 2.2

I have all my preferences in CS3 and CS5 set to Gray Gamma 2.2. However, when I open a step wedge file in Gamma 1.8, and chose convert to working gray gamma, there are small differences in the actual step readings compared to opening the step wedge in the embedded mode. What am I doing wrong?

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Re: Convert Gamma 1.8 to 2.2

but there **ARE** differences.... the gamma 1.8 spreads out the shadows whereas the 2.2 spreads out the highlights. You can prove this to yourself by assigning (NOT convert) the "false profile" of 1.8 to a greyscale file and then converting it to 2.2

Re: Convert Gamma 1.8 to 2.2

Sandy, the assigned space is really only affecting how it coverts "from". So, how it converts to the display profile, how it converts to output spaces, etc... the %s will change in given tomes of you covert. So, if you want 95% to be just that, no matter how it displays, you must assign, not convert. It will look different, but the %s within that space will remain intact and the numbers should remain the same.
    Kind of hard to explain...
    Tyler