Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lenswork Magazine

Ron Miller

Re: Lenswork Magazine

As I look at my bookshelf, I see 60+ lenswork copies. I subscribed for 1 year and then cancelled when I got in a rut and didn't want to view non landscape work (yeah, I know). When I got past that rut, I bought all the back copies I could. I still have not re-subscribed but watch for interesting issues and honestly just about buy each one. If I had to suvbscribe to 1 mag this would be it. I have got my hands on a DVD issue and while they have boatloads more info, I prefer viewing images in my hands the way they were printed. It's just a good mag.

I like Lenswork... when i could go to my local bookstore and have a cup of coffee while i perused every page with wonder, and then i would purchase. Well they stopped sending to book stores. They claimed it was an effort to save paper and the trees.... well that was the day i stopped reading and giving them my hard earned money. Not that i hold it against them for wanting to save the forest and the world and all.... but i miss my evenings reading something of interest at my local BAM (books a million) and sipping on my decaf latte. Brook Jensen is an excellent writer, and i enjoyed his musing over the state of fine art photography great interest. I think i will get a subscription, have it delivered to my local BAM to pickup and once again sip on my favorite cup of joe. All the while pretending i am in another world, where i am the greatest photographer on the planet commanding great sums of money for my images. Wake up mike.. wake up.... yea i really wish they would publish and send to book stores again. i may break down and send them the my hard earned money and wait with anticipation every couple of months the delivery of the golden journal called Lenswork.

thanks michael

http://www.mikepic.com

Ron Miller

His podcasts are "interesting" as well. Their on my ITouch for long trips - like the one I'll be on in 2 weeks.

I've always loved the magazine and subscribed for years in both formats, print and extended. I LOVE the pdf collection of all the issues; one of my favorite things to peruse.

However, I started to tire of the editorials during the last year or two that were trying to make the case for digital printing vs the trad darkroom....very tired. I also felt the quality of the portfolios was getting a bit thin and too heavily weighted toward heavily manipulated digital images.

Quote Originally Posted by PViapiano View Post
    I've always loved the magazine and subscribed for years in both formats, print and extended. I LOVE the pdf collection of all the issues; one of my favorite things to peruse.

However, I started to tire of the editorials during the last year or two that were trying to make the case for digital printing vs the trad darkroom....very tired. I also felt the quality of the portfolios was getting a bit thin and too heavily weighted toward heavily manipulated digital images.
    Yep!

Yep!

lazy retired bum

I've known Brooks since the early 80's when he lived in Portland and we belonged to a group that shared images. He's changed with the times, sometimes a good thing, but not always, and publishes an excellent, thoughtful magazine. I like the fact that he shows and discusses photography, not equipment. I certainly do not always agree with him, but he usually makes me think. His is a unique venture in the difficult world of fine art photography and I admire him for doing what he does. I've subscribed since the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Brody View Post
    I've known Brooks since the early 80's when he lived in Portland and we belonged to a group that shared images. He's changed with the times, sometimes a good thing, but not always, and publishes an excellent, thoughtful magazine. I like the fact that he shows and discusses photography, not equipment. I certainly do not always agree with him, but he usually makes me think. His is a unique venture in the difficult world of fine art photography and I admire him for doing what he does. I've subscribed since the beginning.
    Very well put, Eric...

slumry

I respect what he has done and where he is going, however, I agree with PViapiano that the images have gotten too manipulated and I no longer relate to them. These days one edition seems to look like the next. I get more from pursuing the image sharing section on this forum.
    Follow me on Twaddle!

Joshua Tree, California

Anyone tried the new LensWork online subscription?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Kelsey View Post
    Anyone tried the new LensWork online subscription?
    That was my question in post #13 in this thread. The concept intrigues me as I'm trending away from paper publications.