Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Enlargers Going for Pennies on the $

Re: Enlargers Going for Pennies on the $

Quote Originally Posted by Will Whitaker View Post
    Y'know, I'm feelin' a bit wayward myself...
    I can see it now.... walk into your front room with every model and type of Focomats ever made lining three walls sitting on a library type book cases with glass tops and all sorts of lenses and gizmos inside.....

and more out in the barn....

I shouldn't poke fun.... you should see my front room with cutting boards and pieces of cut foam core stacked waist high on a chair and my easel used for copying large art pieces with polarized lighting always set up....
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    Everything ultimately sells for what it's worth.
    Let's reach reach out and give comfort to our brothers who are trying to sell their five year old computer and can't even find someone who will take it for free.

When it comes to analog photo equipment, I'm so glad about ebay & Co. A lot of this valuable stuff would be dumped in lack of other alternatives.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Michael E View Post
    Let's reach reach out and give comfort to our brothers who are trying to sell their five year old computer and can't even find someone who will take it for free.
    Why would anybody sane want to buy a five-year old clunker??

Whoever wants to buy or tries to sell a five-year-old computer doesn't deserve comfort, they deserve a sharp whack upside their head to wake things up a bit.

Computers are not meant to last forever! Even the IRS accepts total amortization in three years... I have a couple of five-year-old ones which I keep mainly for guests (so they don't feel too comfy ) and similar low-level purposes.

If you're going to tell us what great prints can be made with your enlarger at least learn how to spell its brand name.

It's often retirees and/or the depressed who complain, know best, write letters to the editor etc. Add condescendence to that for flavor, and we've wasted again some time.

I must have a really good doorstop that I'm writing to you all on. Admittedly its worth nothing except the cad software for the engraver we use. Its been depreciated so much that parts are falling off(keys) and thieves would probably pass on snakin it.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lockrey View Post
    .... you should see my front room with cutting boards and pieces of cut foam core stacked waist high on a chair and my easel used for copying large art pieces with polarized lighting always set up....
    I'm gonna take a wild guess that you're not married

Remember the days of scouring the local paper for an 11 x 17 Saunders adjustable and being thrilled finding one for 75.00 clams
    Yes, I have 2 of the 11x17 easels and have wanted the 16x20 for ages but they were to pricey. I made my own fixed border 16x20 which worked well but now I have the real thing.

Quote Originally Posted by PViapiano View Post
    I'm gonna take a wild guess that you're not married
    I was but I had to put her in a nursing home due to her MS becoming unmanageable. She was very cool with the idea of our house being a photo/print studio and was my "Lee Krazner" with the local art scene. Still is selling even in the nursing home. Her ultimate ideal was to have a gallery on a main street in a small town and live above it. But three years of co-pays wiped us out.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lockrey View Post
    I was but I had to put her in a nursing home due to her MS becoming unmanageable. She was very cool with the idea of our house being a photo/print studio and was my "Lee Krazner" with the local art scene. Still is selling even in the nursing home. Her ultimate ideal was to have a gallery on a main street in a small town and live above it. But three years of co-pays wiped us out.
    I am so sorry about your wife, Greg...

I know about co-pays and out-of-pocket maximums, too...

Blessings to you both...

Paul

Perhaps not so farfetched.

In a telephone conversation that I once had with John Maddox (Leica LTM repairman extrodinaire), it emerged that he had an extensive collection of Focomats which included all of the variants and subvariants of which he was aware.

[QUOTE=Greg Lockrey;763840]I can see it now.... walk into your front room with every model and type of Focomats ever made lining three walls sitting on a library type book cases with glass tops and all sorts of lenses and gizmos inside.....