Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toyo metal field 4 3/4 x 6 ½ BELLOWS

Re: Toyo metal field 4 3/4 x 6 ½ BELLOWS

Another photo. Note the space for the back-swing camera part on this side of the camera breeches the ramp for the CFH--but it doesn't effect the light trap. A thicker back or a 1/2 inch wood spacer (with a 5x7 inch window) between about any 5x7 back wedded to an aluminum plate would work.

Also, the only part of the B&J back that had to be sanded off was the small top and bottom flanges. Everything else was fine as is.

Doug

Looks like you did a great job, Doug. I have the same camera with a 4x5 revolving back, and it would be nice to be able to make a 5x7 back for it some day.

Here are more images, maybe. I found this Toyo on Ebay late last year--it came with a lovely 4x5 rotating back with a grid GG. But I'm partial to my Crown Graphic, especially since a number of my lenses can stay on the camera when folded up.

Neglected to mention that the B&J back has slots for partially blocking the 5x7 window to shoot two images on a sheet of film. I filled those slots with wood spacers to prevent any screw stress on the thinner portions of wood.

Doug

Thanks for the photos. You've done an excellent job.

Why did you replace the B&J metal viewing frame? Weight?

Jackpie,

The leather sides of the glass cover were old and stiff, the cover shaft and glass frame metal were rusty and the springs looked questionable. And it was heavy. The actual GG steel frame was probably fine and I suppose everything could have been reconditioned. The Deardorff back was just so much lighter and clean. Apart from sanding off some of the wood B&J back, everything done is reversible.

Anyone looking for old view camera backs should not confine there Ebay search to auctions by folks who know or properly label what they are selling. Titles containing little more than the words "view camera" or "camera back" sometime bring up great parts for small cost. I've been consistently searching for an original Toyo 5x7 back, often hoping someone isn't really familiar with what they are selling and labels it in some generic way. That's how I found the B&J and Deardorff backs.

Dear all,

Thank you very much for your input.

Best regrads

Thierry