Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cold winter shooting and frosting the ground glass

Cold winter shooting and frosting the ground glass

If you can keep the camera in the trunk or in the back of the truck so that it remains near the outside temperature you will reduce the fogging problem. Bob

I just had another thought Grey Wolf... whatever you do, make sure that you DON'T stick your tongue on the cold tripod...even if someone triple-dog-dares you!!! ;0D

Hold your breath while under the focusing cloth, this will teach you how to work fast. For a quick breath, duck from under the cloth.

I wear liner gloves, fairly thin, during the entire procedure of shooting in very cold weather.

Practice practice.

Good luck and best for 2002.

I - shoot various cameras up here in the Canadian Far North down to - 40c/f (at which point I give in before the cameras do). I'll post some cold weather tips once New Years has been celebrated - but....

The foam pipe insualtion works great for tripods.... also carbon fibre has been known to "dry out" up here and shatter!

As for the ground glass - yep, holding your breath, using some kind of focus hood, or - the snorkel trick!! (but you get really funny looks!! (Oh and the BTZS focussing cloths are garbage in these temps - the iter-linings cracks in the the cold + they stiffen solid...

tim a
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

As for gloves.... A huge pair of Artcic Wolf fur mitts on strings so I can just drop and dangle them, with finer gloves inside. You get used to doing intricate things with no gloves on, even at -40. Sometimes it's the only way.
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

I have three tripods (gitzo 1228 carbon, 340 and 410 aluminum). I find I use the aluminum ones most of the time due to increased mass. Last week, I shot in 3 F at Bryce Canyon. I keep the legs wrapped with pipe insulation (a few bucks at Home Depot). It also makes it nicer to carry, as you can sling the padded legs over your shoulder when you're walking. The carbon tripod is cold in cold weather. I don't like using a tripod bag in cold weather if I can avoid it, as fumbling with the zipper/buckles uses precious time.

One more thing. On one photo shoot in cold weather, the battery in my Pentax digital spotmeter weakend. Afterwards, I replaced the stock alkaline battery with a lithium. Worked perfectly at 3F.

Greetings,

As for keeping frost off the ground glass, I use a 90 degree reflex viewing hood, which works flawlessly. Keeping hands warm is another matter. A pair of gloves, with a heat packet between the glove and palm of your hand works very well. I forget the actual name of the heat packets, but they're activated by contact with air and last several hours. Outdoor shops, ski shops, etc. sell them and they're inexpensive.

Regards,

GreyWolf: I know where the likes of you hunt for prey: there in the Frozen North. 1) The snorkel makes much sense and is lighter and smaller than Paul's binocular viewer. Failing that, how a little 'antifreeze' in the form of a shot of Rum before the session? For that to work, the concentration in the blood would probably hurt you and your picture taking. Make sure you have a designated driver too. 2) Carbon tripods. The glass transition temperature for the epoxy resin matrix used in carbon fiber tripods is a well guarded, not divulged trade secret as far as I know. And for good reason: Most epoxies become extremely brittle at not too cold temperatures. I would dread dropping one of those $1000 things on a sharp stone in cold weather. 3) Cold hands: The plumbing tubing foam is great and light, and the best way I know to make your tripod friendly to your hands in cold weather. Many sizes are available. The foam is cheap and easily replaced. 4) Cleaning ground glass after frost: a bit of isopropanol will dissolve the icy film which can be wiped off with a dry cloth to prevent re-condensation of moisture and more icing. I have not tried it. If you carry 'the other antifreeze' that will do too but it may leave a residue on the GG. 5) If all else fails, park your LF at home and take your Hasselblad. That is what I do in the Frozen North where I too live. New Years greetings to all!

Greywolf, Try a bandana over your nose and mouth like the bandits uesed to wear. This will keep you breath from frosting the glass and also keep your nose warm. Gloves on strings is the best tip I've used. Good luck and keep warm. Doug

Dave: it is not possible to not take up a triple-dog-dare. I know from muth ethperienth.