Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Archaic/Proto Euryscope?

Re: Archaic/Proto Euryscope?

I was quite interested by this thread and thought that one of my earlier "Euryscopes" was similar to that of the original poster. Mine turned out to be a few years younger, serial # 25510, with the #4 adjacent to the mounting flange and Wien, Braunsweig the other end. Previous posters have made reference to lenses marked Wien und Braunsweig. I have never seen a lens so marked, perhaps someone
    could show an image. I would be interested to see the style
    Colin
    Last edited by Colin Myers; 4-Jan-2012 at 04:30.

Hi All,

Here are a couple older Euryscops mentioned a few posts back.

The Euryscop 3 is just a few hundred lenses (by serial number) more recent than Steven's lens. Note the script 3, and the period after the number (similar to Colin's lens above). This lens matches up perfectly with a Euryscop Series IV No. 3. Looks like they started "standardizing" the Euryscop IV series just around this time. The Iris was likely added after production, note the different engraving style.

In the Euryscop 2, the engraving style is the same as above, but "Euryscop" has been added. Again, this lens matches up perfectly with a Euryscop IV No. 2. Addition of "Series IV" came some point later.

To me, it seems like the "III" and "C" designations were, as Steven mentioned earlier, notation for some sort of proto-euryscop as Voigtlander figured out what new type of lens they wanted to make. The Petzvals were Series I, The f4 Portrait Euryscop was Series II, so a new lens as series III or C makes sense. Based on the range of serial numbers posted above, it seems they converged to the Series IV specs within a few hundred lenses.

One wonders where the "real" Series III f4.5 Portrait Euryscop fits in. The oldest of these I have has a serial No. in the 36000 range -much later. It would be interesting if someone had older Portait Euryscops to see how they all fit in this series.

cheers

Tim

"Previous posters have made reference to lenses marked Wien und Braunsweig. I have never seen a lens so marked, perhaps someone
    could show an image. I would be interested to see the style"

here you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Fitzgerald View Post
    "Previous posters have made reference to lenses marked Wien und Braunsweig. I have never seen a lens so marked, perhaps someone
    could show an image. I would be interested to see the style"

here you go.
    What an amazingly clean barrel

Here are a couple more with the early "und" marking, on Voigtlander 6" petzvals though.

Thanks guys for the two sets of images, with "In Wien und Braunschweig" script lenses.
    Really interesting
    Colin

Mr. Euryscope.
    While we are waiting for more old Euryscopes, I thought I might post a picture (public domain) of Hans Sommer from 1890. He was Peter Voigtländer's stepson and did all the optical maths for all the Euryscopes until 1899.
    The German biographies use most time on his composing - lieders and operas but they agree on the dates 1877/78 for his start with Euryscopes. Rudolf Kingslake writes 1888 - but this must be a mistake.

My guess is that this series which became the Series IV (after 1880?) started of as a a C series, then became III, finishing up with just the size number. Which is what Tim suggested!

Here is a summary:

22204 III
    22436 C
    22510 5
    22646 III 5
    22968 3
    25212 1
    26032 1
    26538 5 (focussing mount!)
    29623 4
    32533 Euryscope 2

It doesn't fit perfectly - but supports III/C transition to plain lens size around 22500 and the intro of Euryscope between 29624 and 32533

26538 is a first series Petzval missing the hood, but the thread was hidden as the objective had been reverse mounted in the sleeve. Sorry about that - it has the same dimension as the 5 euryscope.

A revised list.

2193X II (mentioned in VM)
    22204 III
    22436 C
    22510 5
    22646 III 5
    22968 3
    25212 1
    26032 1
    29623 4
    32533 Euryscope 2

VM mentions that the "real" Euryscopes debut corresponds to the availability of the new glass - making the F4 and F4.5 possible.