Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: the role of harsh criticism......

Re: the role of harsh criticism......

A harsh, but well intended critique by an acknowledged expert/master is one thing, an unsolicited and dubiously intended critique by a peer is another. If I'm paying someone to educate me, I consider candy coating an insult. If I'm sharing my work with peers, I consider unsolicited critique on a case by case basis, but with some degree of trepidation. Regarding the critique of works here, I generally follow the if-you-don't-have-something-nice-to-say-don't-say-anything rule, because A) I don't think many here are interested in my opinion, and B) why should they be? I'm not expert or accomplished, or even educated. When I like something, I sometimes comment because I don't think most people care about my credentials if I like their work, and it might encourage them in some way.

Harsh criticism is one thing, but I think the distinction needs to be made whether or not the criticism is fair. Something that is harsh but fair may be hard to swallow at first, but obviously can be very, if not critically valuable down the road. Criticism that is harsh and unfair may just embitter and agitate without good cause. There are a lot of people in the art world who know their shit and give you the straight dope, whether it's delivered tactfully or not, and there are people who are just dicks. Honest opinion from informed individuals I welcome; unnecessary abuse from assholes I can do without.

I am reminded of every description of Clarence White I have ever read; which is that he was always kind but managed to teach what needed to be taught.
    I have taught surgery for 30 years and I have always regreted when I have been unkindly harsh.
    A few students will come back to thank you for harshness.
    A few students will give up and abandon the discipline.
    But I always feel I have failed as a teacher, if I have to fall back on harshness and can not find another way to teach the student what I need to teach them.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by David R Munson View Post
    Harsh criticism is one thing, but I think the distinction needs to be made whether or not the criticism is fair.
    It should also be something that the artist can act on. In other words, be more than just a judgement. "This Sucks!" may be both harsh and fair, but doesn't give the recipient anywhere to go besides out of the room, tail between legs.

I got a great piece of harsh criticism from my mentor in college. I'd recently started using a 4x5, was just learning how to print, and was discovering all the requisite, hackneyed pictures for beginners with big cameras: old weathered barn doors, etc. etc..

I was used to going to this guy for advice like "less contrast, burn the corners, darken the sky, bla bla bla" but I cought him in a mood with some barn picture and he said, "look, the print's fine but why are you showing the world another picture like this? What's it about? Why the f___ should anybody care about this?"

It was the zen slap I needed. I had gotten so myopic thinking about details that I was ignoring the possibility of more important questions. He later appologized for snapping at me, and I didn't accept the apology ... I just thanked him for saying what needed to be said.

It was the zen slap I needed.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    A few students will come back to thank you for harshness.
    A few students will give up and abandon the discipline.
    But I always feel I have failed as a teacher, if I have to fall back on harshness and can not find another way to teach the student what I need to teach them.
    Hear, hear! Speaking as a professionally trained teacher, but (only) an amateur photographer, I could not agree more.

I taught music for years. I found that what most music students learned from harshness was resentment towards the teacher, and not how to perform better. They knew when they were not playing well.

On the other hand, however good or bad they had just played; if I said "OK, now let's do it again, but better", and showed or told them how, they always wanted and tried to do it better the next time.

Maybe photographers are different ...

However if Mr Joe Average music talent went to Yehudi Menhuin for instruction, the kindest thing would be to tell him to piss off and try something else. Photography maybe.

Harsh and mean are two different things. When a person gives a negative assessment in isolation, with no suggestions for improvements, that's mean.

On the other hand, with appropriate stimulus, a negative can be a great and long-remembered learning experience.

When I taught photography I was well-known for being quite blunt, and some may have noticed that tendency on this forum. If the student appeared to be honestly trying to accomplish the task, my criticism was followed by some positive suggestion(s). If not... I could be accused of being mean.

- Leigh

Without hearing the criticism of others you would never learn to be critical of your work, which is what you need to grow as a certain type of artist.

On the other hand, that's not enough. You also need a mentor. The mentor doesn't have to be the one to dole out the criticism.

But another type of artist lives on ego, and would not be helped (and might not be harmed either) by criticism.

I don't know exactly what "harsh" means in this context. All I think anyone can legitimately ask for is an honest critique. That doesn't mean rude or cruel for the sake of rudeness or cruelty. It just means honest and if the honesty hurts well that's the risk one takes when having work critiqued.

John Sexton gives the best critiques I've sat through in the 15 or so different workshops I've attended and in the various college photography courses I've taken. I don't think anyone would reasonably come away from his critiques feeling that they've been abused or having their feelings hurt but they'd still certainly learn a lot. It's just a question of how one goes about conducting the critique.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.