Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chamonix Lens Shade

Foamer

Re: Chamonix Lens Shade

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hally View Post
    I've got a compendium from my Toyo 45A that I am going to try to adapt to my Chamonix. The Chammy has a accessory shoe on top of the front standard, and the Toyo shade has a screw coming down through the pivot/mount. I am going to cut a square of aluminum to fit the accessory shoe that I can screw the shade mount to. I think it will line up pretty close.
    I'll check measurements tonight and see if it will work.
    Dave

Let me know how it works out.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    That's why any shading is equal, isn't it..?
    nothing more elaberate then you'd see in the motion picture industry ,, simple horizontal barndoor shade and a flag from the position of every light source

[QUOTE=Two23;761800]Let me know how it works out.

Well it will work, I made a wooden piece that slides into the Chamonix Accessory shoe on the front standard. This piece mounts to the Toyo hood mounting bracket with a flat head screw and nut. The hood looks centered on the lens board opening, so it should work fine with my lenses, which all have boards with centered holes. I need to get a longer screw to try it out in the firld, and then make the adapter out of aluminum, as the wood piece probably won't hold up for long. I'll try to get pics up soon.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Steve M Hostetter View Post
    nothing more elaberate then you'd see in the motion picture industry ,, simple horizontal barndoor shade and a flag from the position of every light source
    I see. So you go and distribute flags on every light source when you take shots with your view camera. Somehow I had that impression...

jadphoto

Lee also makes a shade/compendium that fits into the Cokin P holder. It's internally stiffened so that you can flex it to allow for front movements.

A
    Just another option, although yours sounds pretty workable, not to mention elegant.

JD

Re: Chamonix Lens Shade-Toyo Hood

Here are some pics of my Toyo Field Hood on my Chamonix 45n-2. This is with the wooden adapter plate to test the concept. I will now try to machine one in aluminum. It is not as centered as I thought it would be, but still works up to my largest lens, which is shown. People using off set Technika boards may not be able to do it this way.

Too cool! Another good use for surplus paint stir sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hally View Post
    Here are some pics of my Toyo Field Hood on my Chamonix 45n-2. This is with the wooden adapter plate to test the concept. I will now try to machine one in aluminum. It is not as centered as I thought it would be, but still works up to my largest lens, which is shown. People using off set Technika boards may not be able to do it this way.
    Dave, it's completely unnecessary to have such a heavy beast on the front standard. Because the hood doesn't change its frame dimension (as a more efficient hood should do) and you only move it forward or backward you would get the same shading effect if you simply attach on the front standard (there are many ways to do so) flocking paper with the same circumference and length. You can make it with two parts sliding on each other to be able to change the length. Such a custom made shade would be much lighter and gentler to the standard.

Quote Originally Posted by chassis View Post
    Too cool! Another good use for surplus paint stir sticks.
    It wasn't a paint stick! It was a piece of kindling.

Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    Dave, it's completely unnecessary to have such a heavy beast on the front standard. Because the hood doesn't change its frame dimension (as a more efficient hood should do) and you only move it forward or backward you would get the same shading effect if you simply attach on the front standard (there are many ways to do so) flocking paper with the same circumference and length. You can make it with two parts sliding on each other to be able to change the length. Such a custom made shade would be much lighter and gentler to the standard.
    Yeah, but I have this,and it works. I also have some barn doors when I need something lightweight.