Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Report: The traditional gallery model is in decline

Report: The traditional gallery model is in decline

Read this very interesting article written by Edward Winkleman on how the dynamics for galleries have changed and what some people are doing to further their sales.

http://www.edwardwinkleman.com/2011/...en-thread.html
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

Camera Antipodea Richard Mahoney's Avatar

Re: Report: The traditional gallery model is in decline

Thanks Eric. For a perspective on changes in book publishing -- also impacting on books of photographs -- this interview may be helpful:

Ebooks and Self-Publishing - A Dialog Between Authors Barry Eisler and Joe Konrath
    Saturday, March 19, 2011
    http://jakonrath.blogspot.com/2011/0...ng-dialog.html

Kind regards,

Richard
    Richard Mahoney
    M: +64-21-064-0216 T: +64-3-312-1699 E: contact@indica-et-buddhica.com

Thanks for the links !

How do you find art fairs that sell photographs ?

If you want to sell your work at a Fair, don't you have to attend the Fair, or hire someone to sit there all day ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    Thanks for the links !

If you want to sell your work at a Fair, don't you have to attend the Fair, or hire someone to sit there all day ?
    My area Chamber of Commerce and related organizations provide information on local fairs. Googling for art fairs should put one on the trail of other shows.

There is indeed much effort in selling at fairs. There is the planning, providing displays, framing some of the photos, setting up and taking down the display, and being there while the fair is open. On the other hand, it is a unique opportunity to meet with buyers and be more than an invisible artist. Many of my sales are repeat customers who have became acquainted with me through fairs and other art activities. An artist who is content to be just one cog in the business of selling art probably won't want to get involved. The artist who prefers total immersion in art should consider shows.

The one annual local arts & crafts fair where I always exhibit has few artists and photographers among the hundred crafts and food venders, and maybe 10,000 visitors over two days. The really big art shows would be different, and I can't speak for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    Thanks for the links !

Hey Ken,
    This is an avenue that I am giving serious thought to as I live in an area where there are a lot of tourism in seaside/gulf-side towns (good locations). I just purchased this book to help me start on my thought process about fairs. I downloaded it to my iPad and have only started to read the first chapter, but with the way self-publishing is moving, I am giving serious thought to this and hoping to see if developing a business plan would be viable. Location in my opinion will be the most important factor--I cannot drive all over the country, but I can drive over a large part of Florida.

Just my thoughts and where I am at.
    Darr

PS: I personally believe it would be better for the photographer/artist to be at the fair/POS to meet and greet buyers or potential buyers.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    Read this very interesting article written by Edward Winkleman on how the dynamics for galleries have changed and what some people are doing to further their sales.

http://www.edwardwinkleman.com/2011/...en-thread.html
    Honestly, I don't think anything new is being revealed here. Successful galleries have already been doing what was described in the article.

The article also specifically discusses art galleries not galleries that handle photography only. Photo gallery sales do not always trend together with art gallery sales.

All galleries will continue to have to weather the poor economic waters and markets prevalent now and selling through the internet is just another way of selling. Those that don't will surely perish.

Successful galleries will still cultivate their most salable artists and their prized customers.

There are a lot of fine artists who make a living selling at art fairs and that includes photographers, but they also have been slammed by the poor economic times. People aren't inclined to spend money these days - period, and it will continue to stay that way for a long time.

I've worked as a 2-D judge this year for 2 of the largest art fairs in my local region and I can tell you first hand everyone is smarting from poor sales, rising costs and economic uncertainty.

I think the art fairs that this article is referring to, are ones in Major Cities , where international galleries pay big bucks for a location with others. Not the local outdoor fairs.
    not being snobby here, just observation.

Camera Antipodea Richard Mahoney's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    I think the art fairs that this article is referring to, are ones in Major Cities , where international galleries pay big bucks for a location with others. Not the local outdoor fairs. not being snobby here, just observation.
    Yes, Bob, it would certainly seem so. And then `art fairs' or large `shows' also appear to have their own particular disadvantages:

And then there is the issue of massive art saturation. How does an artist find a way to cut-through the cornucopia of exhibited work without simply falling into the trap of making ‘look at me' art? This is the Venetian curse, the look-at-me syndrome where artists feel they need to ramp up to eleven the spectacle rating so that the work can shout just that little bit louder than everyone else.
    See: David Cross – 15 July, 2011, This Year in Venice [The 54th Venice Biennale, Venice], EyeContact

Best,

Richard
    Richard Mahoney
    M: +64-21-064-0216 T: +64-3-312-1699 E: contact@indica-et-buddhica.com

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    I think the art fairs that this article is referring to, are ones in Major Cities , where international galleries pay big bucks for a location with others. Not the local outdoor fairs.
    not being snobby here, just observation.
    This year I have worked as a 2D judge at the two largest art fairs held in this area. The company that owns these has had a tough time getting entrants on par with previous years. We are in down times, though the top artists still manage to make sales though not nearly as vigorously as they have in past year.

Tough sledding for everyone these days.

Don Bryant

It has indeed been a hard couple of years...
    I just picked up up my work from a gallery in Santa Fe, though he has sold enough other work (paintings and sculpture) to do "OK" but has sold only one photograph this year. "A bad year for photography" and the owner is also a photographer who shows his own work (and had not sold any of it).

A friend was doing a talk at the Monroe Gallery; the owner there said they had "done just enough business" to stay open, and felt glad for it.

Let's face it, for most of us casual business is not enough to float our commercial aspirations...
    Scott
    lungehphoto.com
    http://lungehphoto.com