Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: What was your first lens?

Re: What was your first lens?

Mine was the 210mm Heliar. Bought with the shutter unworking for 70 dollars. Is repaired now athough I canīt unscrew the front element from the shutter. Itīs a kind of magie to work with it.
    Philippians 4:8

My first LF lens was a 210 Apo-Sironar S. I thought I should start at the top of the food chain. I have sold prints, and had my first photo from that lens published several times.
    Shortly thereafter, I succumbed to the siren call of old lenses....a 8 1/2" gold rim Dagor.
    The character of the old lenses suits my style to a T. While the apo-sironar s lenses are blazingly sharp.....I prefer the look of the Dagors. I later found a 4 3/8" in a Rapax for $100 on the bay, and a good friend gave me a 12" Dagor in a working compound shutter. Love them Dagors!

Robert Mayer

My first LF lens was a Schneider-Kreuznach Symmar-S 150/5,6 MC.
    I bought it pretty cheap a few years ago - and I'm happy with it!

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImSoNegative View Post
    this is very nice!!
    Thank you!

Thomas

Preston Birdwell

Mine was a 210mm Schneider-Xenar f-4.5 in a Copal 3, single coated ( I think). Lovely lens that I used for years on my old Omega view 45E. I still have the camera and lens.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Interesting how many mid/long lenses were folks' first. I wanted to be Rowell in 4x5, so a Nikon SW 90mm f/8 was my first. Quickly realized that a 150 & 300 addition were needed.

The first lens that I really used was a 7" American Optical Co. Dagor in a Rapax shutter.

My first lens was a 180mm Caltar that was the Rodenstock that predated the N and S series. It was too contrasty for my taste, so I sent it back and got a refund. I had it maybe a few days just to test it out.

My first lens was a 1960's 180mm/315mm Symmar convertible lens that came with a Graflex View II kit that I bought from another photo student - in 1974. It was supplimented a couple of years latter with a 3 5/8" WA Dagor in a compur shutter - from the 1940's that I used a lot more than the 180mm. The Graflex was heavy to move around - and didn't have a bag bellows. It was sold but I still have the 180mm Symmar and the 3 5/8" WA Dagor.

My first LF lens was a 150mm Componon S in Compur Shutter on a Sinar Alpina.
    Then an 120 mm Apo Symmar, and a 305mm G Claron. Those were used in my film days.
    After I got the Betterlight I got 25 plus lenses.
    Grant

My VERY first lens was the f1.9 Rikenon in my Ricoh 519 35mm rangefinder my parents got me for my 16th birthday. (Still takes better pictures than my Nikkormat). My first large format lens was the 135mm Optar that was on the Speed Graphic I bought while I was stationed in Monterrey California in 1971.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!