Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Do you use a dark cloth?

Re: Do you use a dark cloth?

For the first time I used a t shirt instead of a dark cloth a few weeks ago and I was blown away with the functionality. Waist length was just adequate but the next time I am in the United States I am going to one of those teenage clothing stores for a good quality black knee lenth tee shirt you see the teens wear when they have their shorts on down around the butts.

I use a dark blue bath towel. Never have gotten around to getting a proper dark cloth. People often laugh when I got to check the ground glass.

8x10 BTZS hood. And I use a loop, which seemed to be secondary question that came up in this thread. Indoors, I sometimes don't need the hood.

I use an old, beat-up dark cloth that came with my WP camera, and a BZTS hood for my Zone VI 4x5. The BZTS is a little tight around the camera, one made for a 5x7 field camera would be a better fit. Both are relatively light weight and compact. I once owned a Zone VI focusing cloth, but it was bulky and heavy.

Peter Gomena

Once I got an "designer" darkcloth free with a used camera... I think it was a blackjacket... anyway the previous owner used a lot of manly hair products and it was disgusting.

A clean t-shirt can be easily washed, it can pad your camera, you can wear in case you drool on your shirt... it's great to have multi-purpose items.

I'm one that wants my ground glass DARK as it is difficult enough focusing or viewing an image upsidedown on a groundglass without it being muddled by light. I've looked under the hood to view groundglass images of some other view camera users using short, less than dark cloths and shook my head.

I don't use a stock dark cloth around my Wisner but rather modified a cheap relatively lighter pair of elastic thick black biker's tights which provides a darker enclosure below. One leg hole fits my head, the other allows ventilation downward while the waist hole fits over the rear standard. Ugly but functional. Also have surgical tubing piping between the outside through a cut hole to where my mouth is. Just Gorilla taped shut. That way on cold days I breath through the tubing in order to vent humid breath fully outside the groundglass area where it otherwise with usual dark cloths tends to fog. In fact that was the main reason I made this custom system because otherwise shooting in sub-freezing winter temps for snow scenes was futile.

Wink Re: Do you use a dark cloth?

Once I got an "designer" darkcloth free with a used camera... I think it was a blackjacket... anyway the previous owner used a lot of manly hair products and it was disgusting.
    Both styles (ORIGINAL and HYBRID) BLACKJACKETs can be washed. There is a care label on the inside that advises:

"Gently hand-wash with mild detergent. Drip dry."

Though we've been fortunate never to have issues with our products delaminating, the conservative approach recommended for laundering is to ensure the longevity of the coated fabric (used for the entire lightweight "ORIGINAL", and the bottom half of the breatheable "HYBRID").

As for the previous owner's personal hygiene, you'll have to talk with their mom.

yes terry i agree with you