Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My New Old 14" Commercial Ektar Low Serial number

Re: My New Old 14" Commercial Ektar Low Serial number

Quote Originally Posted by akfreak View Post
    Well I got my lens today. It is so beautiful.
    That is a gorgeous sample for sure!!! Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Michael is right. That may in fact be one of the last ones ever made. It's the latest number I've ever seen. EI xxx would be a common one, EI indicating 1948.

Nice piece, congrats!
    Kerry has a 1967:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...12&postcount=7

Quote Originally Posted by John NYC View Post
    Looking a the link, Had

I contacted the Karsh estate and asked a few questions, this is what I got in reply. WOW!
    Thank you for your e-mail and phone message. I will be away for the rest of the day, and am leaving early tomorrow to give a lecture in Michigan. I will be happy to speak with you when I return and, hopefully, answer some of your questions. The one I can answer now is that, yes, those are Mr. Karsh's initials, in his own handwriting, and that certainly appears to be one of his lenses. How it came into the hands of someone near Dow's Lake is a bit of a mystery to me, but we can discuss it then.

With best regards,

Jerry Fielder

Jerry Fielder
    Curator and Director
    Estate of Yousuf Karsh
    jfielder@karsh.org
    www.karsh.org

Awesome! Congrats

What a story, that's incredible!

Unless there is a record of the serial number in Karsh's documents, you'll probably need to research the provenance of the lens. Which is--who you bought it from, who they bought it from, and so on. If it turns out the person you bought it from got it from a recluse in Houston who bought it new, then you have your answer. But if it can be shown to have found its way to the used market in Karsh's vicinity of time and space, then that provenance will support other evidence.

Rick "noting that such research seems to be a process of elimination" Denney

Edit: Ooops, I didn't read the whole thread before responding. Sounds like the provenance is still in question, but the Karsh ownership less so.
    Last edited by rdenney; 6-Aug-2011 at 20:15.

This is my plan. If it is or is not a Karsh lens, I am happy either way. I fell like I got a smoking deal on an awesome lens.

When Mr. Fielder returns, I plan to speak to him and if he is willing, I will send my lens to him for personal inspection. I will then see if he is willing to look through records to see if in fact the lens was ever in the possession of his estate. I am certain they had records of all of his gear for insurance purposes as well as historical reference, (what lens too what picture, ect... the notes). It is reasonable to believe he owned more than one 14" ektar, from reading it seems to of been his favorite lens.

I also see he has done work with promotional work for Kodak. This lens may of been one used by him in a school, a promotion, hell it may of been some huge fan of his had him sign their lens box. Who knows if he ever owned or used this lens. I am however 100% certain that he in fact did sign the box.

I looked many places and found his initials and they are an exact match to the ones on my lens box. The white initials on the red velvet and gold lining dark cloth were embroidered. The focusing cloth was a gift from his technician and librarian Hella Graber.

Or it may be a loaner from Calumet that accidentaly found it's way to Ottawa. Lynn Jones (see B&W print quality: What was Karsh's darkroom and finishing technique: sept 29 2010 here at LFPF) May be able to say something on this. In which case it may not have been on an insurance list.
    But I will bet a nickel that the answer will be in whose estate the sale occurred at Dow's lake.
    Fot those who are not familiar with Canadian capital area, the road from Karsh's downtown studio passes around Dow's lake on the way to Karsh's house, Little Wings.
    Some of Karsh's friends may have lived at Dow's lake, I am thinking Betty Low, but there are other Ottawa personalities that were long time friends and family.
    Or Perhaps a staff member of the studio.
    I hope you can find out who the estate sale was for.

Lets say look at this as is it isnt a Karsh lens, I am happy I have a lens I paid less that what I feel the value of the lens is. I think in todays market and condition it is worth $525-550 range, I year ago I would of said $700 but it seems lenses are dropping to an all time low as of late.

Now the flip, lets look at this lens as a Karsh verified lens, To a collector at auction with the verfied paperwork, what would the Antique Roadshow price be? Anyone care to guess what the value would be?

How famous was Karsh, from my readings he is up there with the big boys like Ansel, am I wrong in saying so? I know he was a portrait Photographer but he was at the top of the food chain.