Thread: Sierra-Lion Fire

Preston Birdwell

Sierra-Lion Fire

Hi All,

If any of you are planning to visit the southern Sierra on the East Side, be aware that the Lion Fire in Sequoia Nat'l Forest and southern Sequoia Nat'l Park is pumping a lot of smoke into the southern part of the range. There is particular concern about this impact in the Lone Pine area.

For more on the Lion Fire, go Here

Be safe in your travels,

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Drew Wiley

Re: Sierra-Lion Fire

Thanks Preston. It's still a month and a half till I head into Sequoia, so hopefully this
    will be contained and the air clear up. Strange to have such a big fire in such a damp
    year, but there have been terrible die-offs of tamarack groves due to beetle damage
    from the abnormally warm winters in previous years, and these get touched off easily
    by lightning and can smolder a suprisingly long time afterwards. A lot of jeffrey pints up on the ridges have also been weakened and are susceptible.

Drew Wiley

I just checked the satellite and lookout pictures. The smoke plume is extending up the
    west side of the range almost to Yosemite. The whole Kern basin is affected and most
    of Sequoia. Quite a few trails are closed. This might spoil a lot of summer plans for a lot of backpackers. Short enough season already. Two years ago I went into Sequoia
    in smoke but eventually got above it. Guess I'll do any tune-up hikes up around Sonora
    Pass, then see what transpires later in the season.

Ah well; time to consider the Himalya, maybe one of the Annapurna backpack routes.
    Drew, never had one of those jeffrey pints but sure would taste good about now!

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Hi all, I work in Kernville and the smoke has been bad. This is not going to die out anytime soon, they are letting this fire burn. Only 130 firefighter on a 20,000+ acre fire with 15 percent containment. We had planned a pack trip in the Golden Trout Wilderness at the end of August but that may be out now.

Could someone tell me what effect if any this has had or is likely to have on Alabama Hills outside Lone Pine? I went to the web site Preston provided but didn't see any mention of Lone Pine or Alabama Hills (other than Lone Pine being the location of a meeting). I was planning another trip to Alabama Hills in the next month or so.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Brian, There is a lot of smoke in Lonepine right now, worst in the mornings. In a month your guess is as good as mine. We just had a thunder storm roll through here with some rain. If the lightning didn't start anymore new fires up there, the rain might have helped.