Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sink - standard or custom?

Re: Sink - standard or custom?

Just FYI if I had to do it over again, I'd place vertical sheets of plexi right over the sink, slightly tilted back so as to drain into the sink, where I'd put my prints to judge them.

Thanks for all the feedback folks. Sorry to be pedantic, but I'm still not sure what I gain by having sink area, vs. countertop space.

Let's say I have the capability of a certain amount of flat work area, and a sink is within the work area. If it is all "sink" (i.e. specialized darkroom sink), it can't be effectively used for anything else. If it is simply flat countertop, it can be used for chemical trays and anything else I wish. Keep in mind I have a sink under any scenario.

I have worked in darkrooms off and on for over 30 years, and I don't see how I am shortchanging myself by providing *plenty* of counter surface area, and having only a standard-issue kitchen sink as the water source and drain. The only drawback (small IMHO) is that I have to carry trays of spent chemical over to the sink in order to dump them, instead of simply tipping them up into the big custom sink.

Not being argumentative, just trying to understand the emphasis on a customized sink, rather than maximization of generic countertop surface area. Thanks for being patient with me.

If you try to use regular counter top space as a resting place for chemical trays, you will make a big mess. You will invariable spill chemicals which are a real nuisance to clean once dried. Print and film washers can overflow causing a lot of damage.

When you are active in the darkroom it is a big convenience to be able to leave equipment sitting in the sink ready for next use rather than having to put everything away after each use.

It is easy to turn a sink into a countertop by placing a slab of Formica over the top. But you can't convert your counters into a sink.

I have 12 feet of sink space and wish I had another 8. If I did it over again, I would have 30 inch (inside measurement) sinks to accommodate larger trays.

If you have worked in a darkroom for 30 years, and now have a chance to design your own space, and the resulting sink space is a standard kitchen sink... No need to obsess over the details.

Quote Originally Posted by chassis View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback folks. Sorry to be pedantic, but I'm still not sure what I gain by having sink area, vs. countertop space.

Let's say I have the capability of a certain amount of flat work area, and a sink is within the work area. If it is all "sink" (i.e. specialized darkroom sink), it can't be effectively used for anything else. If it is simply flat countertop, it can be used for chemical trays and anything else I wish. Keep in mind I have a sink under any scenario.

I have worked in darkrooms off and on for over 30 years, and I don't see how I am shortchanging myself by providing *plenty* of counter surface area, and having only a standard-issue kitchen sink as the water source and drain. The only drawback (small IMHO) is that I have to carry trays of spent chemical over to the sink in order to dump them, instead of simply tipping them up into the big custom sink.

Not being argumentative, just trying to understand the emphasis on a customized sink, rather than maximization of generic countertop surface area. Thanks for being patient with me.
    Its just a lot easier to have a sink and not to have to worry about trays spilling especially if you're working with larger trays which can't be moved around as easily whilst full of solutions.

I'm extremely careful with my trays and I still spill chemistry into my sink. There's no way I'd willingly put trays on a countertop surface instead.
    I echo the comments to make a way to have a longer sink than you think you need.
    If you need the space for something else occasionally, it's easy to put a piece of plywood over the sink to do that. That's much easier in the long run. I do that fairly often now that hubby is using his bar/mancave (I used to cut mats in there).

My first darkrooms were countertop and carry. I don't recall it being too much bother. Sure a few spills reached the edge before I could sponge them up.

I had a formed formica countertop with backsplash and front lip, I never got around to adding left and right splashguards which would have helped the runaway rivulets. The lip was enough to keep spills from coming forward. I carried my trays to the laundry sink for cleanup.

My life changed when I saw that six foot stainless steel sink leaning up against the wall at a garage sale. Now I can fit four 11x14 trays, enough for dev, stop and two fixes. I still have to change out chemicals for toning and washing. I'm not complaining, the setup is easy. But it illustrates why, as others have said, more sink is better. I have a butcher's block that I lay on the left-hand side for counter space. I don't have much of a dry side so that butcher block serves many purposes.

I still carry my trays to the laundry tub to cleanup, but the formica went to the dump.

You guys will be proud of me. Today I brought home a 6' sink. I think it is a Delta 1, or a copy thereof. It is a drop-in thermoformed black ABS (I think) plastic sink. It has a two foot square deep well sink at one end, and a tapered drainboard for about four feet. The gentleman I bought it from had it on a self built wood frame, so I need to build one of those. Also need to figure out a water supply for it; the sink itself is not capable of mounting a faucet. I can easily do a standard mixing faucet.

What water supply features should I consider? I am processing black and white only, in 35mm up to 4x5. I don't think I need a NASA grade temperature control valve, or do I? What about additional taps/spigots along the length of the sink?

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Your sink looks great and well made but, marine grade plywood is simply a waste of money for constructing darkroom sinks. This myth keeps getting perpetuated over and over.

Use regular construction grade plywood with one good side and cover with West System epoxy and pigment which is used in the boating industry for creating water tight, rock hard, yet light weight skins for decks, hulls, cabins etc., made of wood or cast fiberglass.

Installed properly the sinks coated with West System epoxy will last decades. The material isn't inexpensive and doesn't contain volatile organic compounds like fiberglass resins do.

It has to be handled properly and there are strict safety guidelines that should be observed but by and large when used in a well ventilated environment epoxy odor is very minimal.

The computer controlled valves sound like a good long-term investment, instantly the right temperature at any flow rate, returning your investment with lower water bills and by saving you precious darkroom time.

Another way is compensating timers. Here you get water close to temperature, dial in a nominal time and timer speeds up/slows down when "things" get warmer/cooler.

You may laugh, but I found a clamp perfectly suited to the task of holding a hose over the sink. It's a clamp designed to hold up a ping pong table net. I clamp it onto my backsplash and the bar for the net sticks out horizontally over the sink. I just twist-tied the hose to it. I can unclamp it and move it left or right over the sink where I want it.