Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Landscapers ― share your best “take-down” tips

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Landscapers ― share your best “take-down” tips

Let’s say you’ve taken your final shot, re-inserted the darkslide, and called it a day...

What are your “take-down” priorities, and are they helpful to share? What’s your first step – and last step? Does the weather or type of shot determine the order? What steps are good to remember, but easy to forget?

I imagine many are quick to remove their film holder and safely pack it away – others might first attend to their lens. Still others might pick-up accessories, or write a few final field notes before any other leave-taking chore.

My final step after packing my bag & collapsing the tripod is “walking-around” the set-up area, looking for small items I may have forgotten. I started this habit after leaving behind my Pentax spot meter on a dark forest floor. I hiked back next day to rescue it. Why it didn’t rain, or wolves didn’t chew on it, I don’t know!

Let’s hear about your “take-down” habits – what useful ideas & lessons can you share?

Re: Landscapers ― share your best “take-down” tips

Anybody use a take-down checklist, like an exposure checklist?

A list for wrapping up is probably uncommon, but here’s one more habit of mine I find useful at the end of a shot. I usually put the front cap on my lens before removing it from the camera, and have its back cap ready to put on, right after I remove it. I’ve dropped it a time or two on the way to the bag.

One more item I like to “check-off” – when putting film holders away, I’ll make sure they’re locked. Just a quick visual inspection. I’ve had hiking motion pull slides open while they’re inside my pack. Hope this triggers your memory of additional suggestions...

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    Anybody use a take-down checklist, like an exposure checklist?
    Not me, about the only things that I do for sure everey time is put the film holder back into the plastic bag then back into the film bag, and put a lens cap on.

Joshua Tree, California

Seems so anal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Kelsey View Post
    Seems so anal.
    I agree. I think too many left brain activities can't help but stifle at least a little right brain creativity. I always encourage new photographers to work hard to make the mechanical and technical aspects of photography routine and automatic. That allows the right brain can stay engaged and let creativity flow unimpeded. And that in turn allows them to move beyond making cliche and cookie cutter photos.

[QUOTE=Greg Miller;760417]I agree. I think too many left brain activities can't help but stifle at least a little right brain creativity.QUOTE]

Perhaps the truly creative can use both the right and left brain together in harmony and cooperation.

[QUOTE=Vaughn;760470]
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
    I agree. I think too many left brain activities can't help but stifle at least a little right brain creativity.QUOTE]

Perhaps the truly creative can use both the right and left brain together in harmony and cooperation.
    Some fortunate few people are able to do this. Just like some few people can functional optimally with 3 hours of sleep. But for most people, the more we engage the left hemisphere of the brain to do non-creative tasks, the less creative we become.

Many people notice this when they are being highly creative and time becomes meaningless - hours can fly by in what seems like a few minutes (for me this happens a lot when I sit down in the evening to do 10 minutes of work in Photoshop - next thing you you its 3:00 in the morning and its "crap, how did that happen?") . Then the phone rings and we have to use logic to answer a question. That creative flow just vanishes, and it takes a lot of time to get back into that zone.

[But for most people, the more we engage the left hemisphere of the brain to do non-creative tasks, the less creative we become.
    Checklists actually reduce dependence on the left brain.

But I think the statement can give the wrong impression. An artist must have command of the medium, and that does not come without thinking and practicing. Musicians, for example, spend a lot of time thinking about technique, and practicing, and in so doing earn the right not to have to think about it when performing.

So, I agree that one does not think about technique when performing, but the only way that is possible is by thinking and practicing before the performance. So, one might discuss a checklist on a forum, including drilling down into detail, even if it seems excessive to those who have already practiced their technique to the point where they don't have to think about it.

Rick "who once asked his music teacher which was most important, technique or musicality, and he said 'yes'" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    Checklists actually reduce dependence on the left brain.

But I think the statement can give the wrong impression. An artist must have command of the medium, and that does not come without thinking and practicing. Musicians, for example, spend a lot of time thinking about technique, and practicing, and in so doing earn the right not to have to think about it when performing.

So, I agree that one does not think about technique when performing, but the only way that is possible is by thinking and practicing before the performance. So, one might discuss a checklist on a forum, including drilling down into detail, even if it seems excessive to those who have already practiced their technique to the point where they don't have to think about it.

Rick "who once asked his music teacher which was most important, technique or musicality, and he said 'yes'" Denney
    I think we mostly agree. But related to this thread, some things that should be practiced have more significance than others. In music, practicing scales, arpeggios, and etudes would directly improve the creative performance and are life long ventures. Practicing packing away the tuba or emptying the spit valve, however entertaining they may be, not so much.

Practicing packing away the tuba or emptying the spit valve, however entertaining they may be, not so much.
    Packing it away isn't as trivial as you think! The threads on the tuba forum are replete with wars over side-load versus top-load bags, and bags versus hard cases, and which car will actually hold the hard case even if it is better.

And I have to rotate my large tuba through a complete circle to empty the condensation from one of the branches, which on a crowded stage becomes a feat of acrobatics worthy of the Cirque du Soleil.

Rick "oh, my aching back!" Denney