Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 5x7 green xray film

Re: 5x7 green xray film

Remember, halogen light is very red, and your film is blind to red. Your EI will likely be much higher in daylight. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Dcohio View Post
    Film came in today. Package says that it is made in Belgium and finished in USA. Not sure who coats films in Belgium.
    Agfa had a plant in Belgium. I think it's still running under a different company. I'm still confused how and who took control of what after Agfa went under.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay DeFehr View Post
    Remember, halogen light is very red, and your film is blind to red. Your EI will likely be much higher in daylight. Have fun!
    Jay,
    Thank you for this tip. I understand there is a more full spectrum of light outside and how full will depend conditions( shade, full sun, reflected light,etc). Do you have a rough ballpark EI's you use for different lighting conditions? I know these may not apply to my shooting but I am curious. Mother nature can be tough and you wouldn't be able to nail down an exact EI for every situation but a rough 1 would help in a lot of situations.
    Thanks,
    Doug

Dcohio, as Jay stated, halogen light is more in the red spectrum so it might be a good idea to do an EI test. Also, watch out for reciprocity effects. I ran a test a couple of years ago, and this film is greatly affected by exposures 1 second and longer. Some people claim that they don't bother with exposure/dev compensation, but my tests show otherwise. I think I posted my findings somewhere in this forum. I'll attach it here so you don't have to look for it...
    I just ordered some (agfa) green latitude in 14x17. Did cxs put their prices up? If I recall, it was around $80 in your money about a year ago...Now it's $102. Hmmmm, have they caught on that we photographers like this stuff or something?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkroomDan View Post
    Jay, It is very slow. I don't have any speed index for the material I am using but, when I am enlarging 35mm negs to 8x10, I am getting exposure times of several minutes (5 to 8) with the enlarger lens wide open. I have been developing it in D-72 1:3. This gives me negs that I can use for carbon printing.

Dan
    The reason for the "slow" response is the light source. Green sensitive xray film responds at an EI of 100-125. The light source in your enlarger contains a lot of red in its spectrum - the film is not responsive to red.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    The reason for the "slow" response is the light source. Green sensitive xray film responds at an EI of 100-125. The light source in your enlarger contains a lot of red in its spectrum - the film is not responsive to red.
    This is where an LED head would come in very handy, as even white LED's have much more green/blue and some UV in the output...

Much of the halogen bulbs output is in IR...

Steve K

Interesting thread, I was starting to wonder about the source of this 5x7 x ray film - when I noticed the thread is from 2011.