Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello From Rexburg, ID

Hello From Rexburg, ID

Hi from The Burg,

I have been a hobbyist for more years than I can remember and a professional photographer for roughly 4 years now shooting with a Canon 5D. I recently returned to school to earn my BFA in photography and rediscovered the joy of film photography. A historical processes class I recently took has led to an almost obsession with historical processes. I have access to several large format cameras at school and recently purchased a 4x5 Crown Graflex. My husband calls it my gateway drug. He's right. I used 8x0 and 7x17 for a series I shot in my historical processes class and am currently shopping around for my own 8x10.

My plan for my BFA is a series in historical processes of which I would like to include wet plate photography. I found the forum through Michael Slade and have literally spent the two days pouring over the information I have found on here! I appreciate all of the knowledge that has been shared. I have learned so much from here! Thanks to everyone who has shared so freely.

I look forward to getting to know you as I begin what I'm quite certain will be a lifelong love of large format.

Shannon Wilkinson

Re: Hello From Rexburg, ID

Welcome. Wait to you start playing with wet plate collodion! You will love it.

My mom is from IF. I spent many summers in IF and Gooding.

Eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Eddie's right, haven't made a platinum print in a while. Wet plate is truly a medium one obsesses over. Check out www.collodion.com for more wet plate info than you can shake a stick at. You are in a wonderful part of the country, I have always wanted to make plates in the Tetons. Have fun!!

Welcome and we look forward to your future posts. As I have seen others post," Welcome to the addiction"
    Questions and comments are always welcome

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Welcome to Large Format Photography Forum!

Steve
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Welcome to the asylum.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

Dakotah,

While I, and many others, appreciate the kind words about Craig and his program, you need to know that the dept. head and the other photo professor in Rexburg are both grads of USU. As am I...twice. Craig is retiring next year, but his legacy and love of alternative processes will live on. I am teaching at UVU and at BYU this year, and graduates of USU and Craig's influence are in education all over the west.

Telling her to ditch her well established program at BYU-Idaho is ill-advised. She would do well to stay right where she's at.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotah Jackson View Post
    If you want a good program for Alt Processes ditch Rexburg and vicinity and head down to Logan, Utah where Craig Law has a top notch photo program at Utah State University. One of the few things they do right in Utah. His Alt Process knowledge is top notch and he is an excellent photographer, not a classroom lecture type who doesn't 'walk the walk'. He actively shoots using what he teaches. One excellent carbon printer with work that is worth a trip to Logan just to see.

You're in good place now -- the "halide cloud". Glad to have you here.

Welcome Shannon.

Welcome, Shannon. I lived in the Boise area for 20 years, and recently relocated to Seattle. My wife and I have been making carbon prints in our apartment, which is a challenge, but a lot of fun, too. Have fun exploring!