Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jobo Processing B&W, C-41 and Ilfochome in same gear, any issues?

Jobo Processing B&W, C-41 and Ilfochome in same gear, any issues?

I'm about to be using Job pro drums, (3010,3005 and 3063) to process film and paper on a CPA-2. I'm wondering whether cross contamination of chemicals from different processes is something to look out for. So do I need to reserve one set of drums or bottles certain chemistry and are their any particular precautions to take. My interest is B&W, C-41 and Ilfochrome processing, but maybe there are others to consider too.

Spare bottles seems no big deal. Separate dedicated drums can be costly but if need be, that's what I'd do.

Thanks for your guidance.

Asher

Re: Jobo Processing B&W, C-41 and Ilfochome in same gear, any issues?

Asher, I don't think so. I process E6, B&W and Ilfochrome in the same 8X10 drums. These are Ciba drums not Jobo but I can't say I see any issues. I do soak the drums in hot water for a short while after the Ciba processing, then with a thorough rinse because the Ciba bleach made me nervous, but I can't say that is even necessary.

OTOH I can't say my experience is definitive - only fairly certain.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Potter View Post
    Asher, I don't think so. I process E6, B&W and Ilfochrome in the same 8X10 drums. These are Ciba drums not Jobo but I can't say I see any issues. I do soak the drums in hot water for a short while after the Ciba processing, then with a thorough rinse because the Ciba bleach made me nervous, but I can't say that is even necessary.

OTOH I can't say my experience is definitive - only fairly certain.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.
    Thanks, Nathan,

This is a good start.

Asher

Don't stabilize in the drums. Pyro developers may also stain the drum making it a problem for going back to E6. E6 is one of those process that almost requires a dedicated machine to do it right, in my opin. Not only are the drums at issue but also the Lift pouring spout and internal lift components, if those are not clean for E6 you will get color cast.
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

The only rule i follow with my Drums is ... what Greg said "dont stabilize" or use photoflo ... they get sticky so it makes loading film more difficult. And your developer and other chemicals will foam up << bad really bad

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I have been processing E-6, C-41, B&W, and RA-4 in my CPA-2 without any problems. After each run I run two liters of hot water thru the lift before I drain and put away the unit. After sponging it dry, I let it air dry uncovered overnight after which I place the bottles and graduates that I also washed with hot water and left to dry over night back in their slots and then cover the whole with plastic laundry bags to prevent dust from settling in.

I have two sets of bottles and one of which I originally dedicated for E-6. However with 4 different processes that's really not practical so I have been placing the developers in the bottles marked "developer" and the bleaches in those marked "bleach" or "blix" and the fixes in the "blix" or "fix" bottles and so on.

As mentioned above, apply the stabilizer and photo-flo off processor and not in a drum. In my case I use a plastic container that originally contained sidewalk chalks that holds about 1 liter and in which you can submerge a reel or sheet of 4x5 film. I reuse the photo-flo and stabilizer and pour those back into a 1 liter container for storage and wash the chalk box out with hot water before storing it.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Blank View Post
    Don't stabilize in the drums. Pyro developers may also stain the drum making it a problem for going back to E6. E6 is one of those process that almost requires a dedicated machine to do it right, in my opin. Not only are the drums at issue but also the Lift pouring spout and internal lift components, if those are not clean for E6 you will get color cast.
    Greg,

Can Cibachrome be altered in the same way?

Asher

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    I have two sets of bottles and one of which I originally dedicated for E-6. However with 4 different processes that's really not practical so I have been placing the developers in the bottles marked "developer" and the bleaches in those marked "bleach" or "blix" and the fixes in the "blix" or "fix" bottles and so on.
    tg,

Why not have 4 sets of bottles? Also can the funnel of the lift be readily swopped out?

Asher

Having only done RA4 and R3000 I have no experience with Ciba. My knowledge is such that RA4 chemicals some incorporate the stabilzation component in the BLIX. Others such as are used in big mini lab machines have separated tank that hold just stablizer in water- the last step prior to drying. That is because most mini lab machine do not wash the print but chemically treat it so it does not not immediately discolor.

So my thought is that the Bleach component of the Ciba is fixing the image.

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
    Greg,

Can Cibachrome be altered in the same way?

Asher
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
    tg,

Why not have 4 sets of bottles? Also can the funnel of the lift be readily swopped out?

Asher
    Well you could, of course, but it's crowded enough with 12 bottles in my closet. You could also have 4 CPA's - one dedicated for each process - but as long as you wash thoroughly after each use and not allow the chemicals to dry on them you shouldn't have anything to worry about. In my experience only the developer containers become stained. In fact, just this afternoon I stopped at a local supplier to see if they carried Sulfuric Acid and Potassium bichromate or permanganate to make a tray cleaner to clean the developing trays and Jobo bottle. Looks like I'll have to order from the Formulary.

As far as the funnel I would think that barring physical damage swopping it out would be unnecessary. Again, the only chemical that leaves a stain is oxidized developer. But the developer is the first step in any process with the rinse/wash step being the last. I follow Jobo's recommendation of 1 change of water every 30 seconds so the funnel gets a good rinsing with every run as well as my 2 liter rinsing with hot water at the end.

Thomas