Thread: Virginia Beahan's "Cuba, Sining with Bright Tears"

Virginia Beahan's "Cuba, Sining with Bright Tears"

The Getty Museum here in Los Angeles has an ongoing exhibit titled, "CUBA: Walker Evans to Now," which is a really nice exhibit, probably the best I have seen on Cuba without a political agenda embedded in it.

One of the photographers showcased in the exhibit is Virginia Beahan, whose book, "Cuba Singing with Bright Tears," is quite a stunning collection of photographs. Beahan makes contemporary landscapes of historically important locations, as well as documenting the changes and challenges facing a post-Castro Cuba.

I found her book to be very compelling and a beautifully executed take on a topic most Americans know little about.
    ISBN 978-0-9761955-5-9

slumry

Re: Virginia Beahan's "Cuba, Sining with Bright Tears"

Just saw the show on Saturday, I liked it a lot more than I expected. Alex Harris' car dashboards are worth going all by themselves. He stuffed a view camera in the backseat of different cars and got really large, detailed color images, all of which were very vivid.
    Follow me on Twaddle!

Yes, I also picked up Harris' book titled, The Idea of Cuba. I agree his pictures of cars are eye catching and his portraits are also excellent.

ISBN-13: 978-0826341396

-DP

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Lumry View Post
    Just saw the show on Saturday, I liked it a lot more than I expected. Alex Harris' car dashboards are worth going all by themselves. He stuffed a view camera in the backseat of different cars and got really large, detailed color images, all of which were very vivid.

Shot Cuba last June (2010) in MF -- negs and contact sheets look great, albeit a little contrasty using an orange and a yellow filter with great clean cloud-filled skies. Want to print PL/PD but need a source for digitizing the negs...any suggestions?