Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Omega D2 enlarger

Omega D2 enlarger

I am setting up a darkroom and have an omega d2. It does not have a lens or lens board, and i have no negative carriers. I shoot both 35mm and 120 with a tlr. I also just picked up a 4x5 glass plate camera (resoting), which made me take this enlarger...well, that and the fact that i pretty much got it for free. I have been browsing e-bay for these components, but feel that piece-at-a-time will be more costly, esp. with shipping. Any suggestions for how to get this up and running cheaply? I live in the Atlanta area.

Re: Omega D2 enlarger

I recently picked up an Omega D5xL with turret 3 lenses and negative carriers (3 formats) for $150 Canadian. I had been monitoring Craigslist here in Toronto and the Omegas seem to come up about one a month. They were asking in the range of $120 to $250 with a variety of the "extras" depending on price. So for me the answer was being opportunistic and waiting for the right one to come along...

you have correctly identified the conundrum that trying to get the extra pieces on Ebay may end up costing more than a complete enlarger, so my advice is to continually monitor Craigslist in your area...
    you can find my images on flickr at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feberdt/sets/

Quote Originally Posted by John Rhilinger View Post
    Any suggestions for how to get this up and running cheaply?
    As far as learning more about the D2 and compatible parts, be sure visit Harry Taylor’s forum at Classic-enlargers.com.

The forum is full of useful info, and you will always learn more than you think.

Pay close attention to Harry’s responses – for he is the Omega Man. If you feel adventurous, post some questions of your own, and you’ll get tips that are free, knowledgeable, and friendly. Good luck, the Omega D2 is a great enlarger.

Try focalpoint in florida, I thing he has parts.
    I am setting up a darkroom and have an omega d2. It does not have a lens or lens board, and i have no negative carriers. I shoot both 35mm and 120 with a tlr. I also just picked up a 4x5 glass plate camera (resoting), which made me take this enlarger...well, that and the fact that i pretty much got it for free. I have been browsing e-bay for these components, but feel that piece-at-a-time will be more costly, esp. with shipping. Any suggestions for how to get this up and running cheaply? I live in the Atlanta area.

You might try searching for "omega negative carriers" and "D2 Lensboards" at KEH.com.

Many things that they have are not listed directly on the web site. I don't know if they still carry much darkroom stuff, but they are terrific to buy from and very conservative on their condition listings.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Welcome to the forum, John!

The Omega D2 and D3 require what are called "cones." These cones position the lens an appropriate distance from the light source, and hold the lens. The lens mounts on a little circular lens board, which is attached to the cone with a couple of screws. The negative carriers and the cones should be cheap, just wait for something appropriate to come up.

I got mine on craigs list

Which condensors do you have?

Last edited by Graybeard; 18-Jul-2011 at 14:22. Reason: It needed it.

Hi Graybeard. Your question made me realize how much i have to learn. I thought the "variable" part referred to the set positions, since there is only one condenser in the compartment. It will fit in the two lower slots (dropping down slightly to fit in lowest), but not in the top slot, for when using a 162mm enlarger lens.
    Guess i have much to learn here. Hopefully I can find parts i need without buying another D2. I don't have anything to measure the condenser that came with the unit.
    What other condenser might i need. Eventually I will have my 4x5 Black Beauty operable. For now, what lenses do you suggest for 35mm and 120 work?

John, it sounds like you have the D2 V enlarger,in which case you have all the condensers you need.If it is a D2 V look in the compartment above the main condensers, open the hinged lid and there should be a diagram showing the different positions for the variable condenser to be positioned for the different size lens's. There should be three slots for this condenser to be put into. And for the 162 lens the variable condenser is removed completely.
    Mike