Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arca-Swiss F-line Field 4x5

Arca-Swiss F-line Field 4x5

having read these answers, no one has brought up whether or not there is a wide angle bellows available for the field version of the F-line camera. If s othis will take care of your shift needs. The limited rise on the 6x9 standard doesn't necessarily limit the amount of rise youcan use as there is also the possibility of using the indirect rise method of setting up your camera. This involves tilting the monorail upwards or down wards and then tilting the front and rear standards to the vertical level. because the Arca-Swiss F Camera is a yaw free design you won't have any problems if you also need to swing. In addition because the rise mechanism is above the swing and tilt points you won't have to refocus if you decide to change the amount of rise or shift you need.

p.s. Thank you for reminding me ofthe new Dykinga book. Today is my birthday and i have an amazon g.c. to use!

If you go with any of the standard (non-field) versions of the F-line cameras (includingthe Discovery), you can use lenses as short as 45mm with the standard lensboard without needing a deeply recessed board. For all lenses shorter than 135mm you will want to use a wide angle bellows to get full use of the camera movements and lenses image circles.

Just to toss in another idea: I used an Arca 6x9 a few years back and liked it very much, it's a gem!!! This camera has the 6x9 standard of the "field" you are looking at, but a 6x9 rollfilm back instead of the 4x5 back. You may think "makes no difference, I can always use a roll film back on my 4x5". But the truth is, if you buy let's say 3 lenses for your 4x5, they wouldn't work so great for a 6x9 camera, cause you probably would like to have 3 different focal lengths more suited to 6x9... Anyway, just think about whether you really want sheet film, or whether you could get away with the much more economical and easier to handle roll film. You still would have all the advantages of perspective control. The Arca is the best 6x9 camera I could imagine!

Happy birthday Ellis!

Dave Karp

Ellis,

The Dykinga book is nice, and good for someone like me just starting out in large format. I have been reading your posts for quite some time. Based on them, I doubt whether there is much in there that you do not already know. It does have some nice photos though.

thank you everyone for your good wishes. I decided not to get the Dykinga book mentioned but one of his other books --Desert and a copy of Robert Adams' Why People Photoraph.

I believe the Arca "field" camera comes with the wide angle bellows standard. From about 47mm up to 180 or 210mm, all is well. If you want to use a lens longer than a 210mm or so, you'll then have to add on a longer bellows (they make a 40cm and a 50cm, as I recall), AND you'll need more extension than that furnished by the standard 30cm collapsible rail. Something to consider when plotting any Arca system.

Tom,

I do the exact typr of shooting that you do. And for that reason I own two cameras. I have a lightweight field camera and I also own an Arca Swiss F-Line Metric. My front standard is 6x9 and I have 6x9 and 4x5 rears. I have the 6x9 binocular reflex viewer which is a realy gem. It is small and very lightweight.

I regularly shoot 120 rollfilm in 6x9 horseman backs and use the Arca Polaroid 6x9 back as well for architectural assignments.

When I need 4x5 or a client requires it, the flip of a simple lever and I slide off the 6x9 and slide on the 4x5. I leave the 4x5 w/a bellows attached to the back at all times. I use lenses ranging from 58 to 210 and as a result only carry the one bellows.

My field camera is an Ebony. It is a great camera and it has been a worthy travel mate.

Take Care -Bill