Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Okefenokee Swamp in GA

Re: Okefenokee Swamp in GA

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    Insure your equipment and your life before leaving ...

Don Bryant
    Done
    david

If you hear banjos, paddle faster!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    Insure your equipment and your life before leaving ...

Don Bryant
    Is there a problem with equipment being taken from your car while you're on the boardwalk, etc?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    Is there a problem with equipment being taken from your car while you're on the boardwalk, etc?
    That's always a possibility anywhere. Never leave your camera equipment in a vehicle, even for a few minutes.

I was really referring to the risk of working out of a boat. I've seen very large alligators almost jump into john boats and canoes. Of course that's because they became threatened by the boat. So there are all kinds of things that can dump a boat over unexpectedly and thus ones equipment.

When you are in the swamp always expect the unexpected no matter how serene and calm your surroundings may seem.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    If you hear banjos, paddle faster!
    Why?

The Waycross entrance to Okefenokee is the most tourist oriented probably because its run by a private company - imagine Disney in a swamp. The john boat tour guides try to get you too close to gators making the trip into a thrill ride.

The other park entrances are what you would expect from a National Wildlife Refuge including knowledgeable Park Rangers.

Banjos? Deliverance?
    van Huyck Photography
    "Searching for the moral justification for selfishness" JK Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Howk View Post
    The Waycross entrance to Okefenokee is the most tourist oriented probably because its run by a private company - imagine Disney in a swamp. The john boat tour guides try to get you too close to gators making the trip into a thrill ride.

The other park entrances are what you would expect from a National Wildlife Refuge including knowledgeable Park Rangers.

Banjos? Deliverance?
    The Waycross entrance is a waste for photography, I've never entered the park at that entrance.

The SCRA entrance at Folkston is the eastern entrance to choose and is operated by the Feds. The West entrance in Fargo is operated by the state. Those are the two entrances to choose for the most natural experience of the swamp though there is still a lot of human activity at those locations during certain times of the year.

I found a nice campground near the Folkstone entrance. I spoke with the owner about his photo tours of the swamp. He could not wrap his head around the idea of a tripod and a big camera. He asked if I could lay flat on the boat and he will try to keep it still
    david