Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Okefenokee Swamp in GA

funkadelic

Re: Okefenokee Swamp in GA

Quote Originally Posted by atlcruiser View Post
    Don has some great advice on the swamp! It is beautiful down there with many great subjects. It might be worthwhile to check out some of Clyde Butchers work ina similiar environment
    John Brady (also a forum member here) works or worked with Clyde Butcher. Hopefully he will see this and chime in.

I admire Clyde Butcher, but am unwilling to follow in his footsteps - too many close calls with snakes and gators. I prefer some of the periphery areas like Big Shoals & Chesser Homestead. Even closer to you is Banks Lake - a great location for Cypress.
    van Huyck Photography
    "Searching for the moral justification for selfishness" JK Galbraith

I have photographed at Banks Lake extensively, but not yet on 4x5; I am waiting for some better weather. I went to Big Shoals last year and wasn't terribly impressed but maybe I went during a bad time of year.

I live in the Tampa area of Florida. I have had better luck and better pictures staying away from the state parks. The small county parks are the place to go. The state seems to think that they have to protect your every move in there parks.... they are just a pain in the as...... And if you get into a argument with a state park ranger ( i have a few times) they will remind you that you need a permit to photograph on there land. The best place for alligators is Chesnut park in Pinellas county. And birds the best place is Fort Desoto in Pinellas county also. I like Myakka state park for the gators but only certain times of the year. It is just south of Sarasota. The closest state park to me is Honeymoon island ... just up the street from ... This park really really sucks... There conservation efforts are really amateur. To get to the dog beach you have to walk thru the bird nesting area. They put up chicken wire around the turtle eggs to mark them.... just gives the birds a place to perch while they have lunch on the turtle eggs. Then they fence in half the beach and mark it with signs that say bird nesting area... yea like the birds can read.... seriously.. its a joke... fortunately most of the residents know this and just ignore the states intrusion.

http://www.mikepic.com

I think large format is the perfect tool for working in the swamps! Wet jungles and photo gear with electronics don't mix well. I do all my Everglades work with an 8x10. The key is protecting your gear while in transit. When working from my Gheenoe (think canoe on steroids) my gear lives in pelican cases. Be prepared to get out of the boat and stand in the water since you will need to work with a tripod.

When a boat isn't an option, I use really big zip locks for my camera, film holders and lenses and carry them in a back pack. I wear shorts and light weight low cut boots due to the hot conditions but I also where zip on snake proof leg covers called turtle skins. They are light weight, waterproof and work. I have pissed off more than a couple of water moccasins.

I have worked some of the wetlands in North Florida but haven't gotten to the Okefenokee yet, would love to there sometime.

Clyde takes a more relaxed approach. One day last summer we hiked out behind his place in the Big Cypress. He was wearing shorts and crocks. When we were coming back from being in the swamp most of the day we stopped on a trail and looked down
    and about six inches from Clyde's foot was the head of a six foot diamond back rattler. I had already walked by it and never rattled or moved. Clyde gingerly stepped away and it never struck, we were both very lucky!

www.timeandlight.com

A couple of months ago I made a day trip to the eastern side of the Oke., first to the Visitor center then drove out to a boardwalk which runs a half mile of so out to a pond area. The boardwalk was productive from accessibility point of view although I was not inspired by the tangled swamp vegitation. There is a tower at the end of the boardwalk which yields an overall view of the swamp and that is impressive, albeit difficult to frame on GG. I was not able to find compelling images during my short visit but possibly longer visits could produce some interesting images.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

I went thru there late May this year, the water was low making for lots of visible gators. The fire kept us to the visitor center and the tour boat.
    We had a wonderful tour with Chip (owner of www.okefenokeeadventures.com) at end of the day. His knowledge of Okefenokee and other swamps we have traveled to was great. We were only 3 people on a 24' skiff, stayed out till the yellowflies bite.

I just started exploring the idea of large format, so it was digital w/400, 80-200, 20-35.

I have explored the state parks with 4x5, and as Nathan said, didn't have a lot of luck. You are pretty much restricted to the boardwalks unless you use a boat. I'm also not into the Clyde idea of wading around in the swamp up to my chest. I've thought about hand held speed graphic from a canoe but the shutter speed limits for handlheld, you might as well shoot digital.

I wanted the bring this thread back from the dead!

Looks like we will spend the xmas holiday in the Okefenokee.and I have permission form Lori to actually bring the 810 and use it Normally she is a bit against that due to the time/energy it sucks up!

I have been in touch with an outfitter there to take me out for a dayon a john boat to some areas where I might find dryish land or shallow water to set the tripod on. All of my stuff is in pelican cases already including the holders....

I am looking for advice/thoughts/warnings etc....about this plan.
    I have been out in swamps shooting before but never with LF

thanks
    david

Quote Originally Posted by atlcruiser View Post

I am looking for advice/thoughts/warnings etc....about this plan.
    Insure your equipment and your life before leaving ...

Don Bryant