Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "New Coceine" opaque masking paint substitute?

"New Coceine" opaque masking paint substitute?

I think I had the last bottle of "New Coceine" sold by B&H, and now I can't find it. What's the substitute for opaque masking paint? Are there markers that can be used instead? That would be a lot esaier to use!

Re: "New Coceine" opaque masking paint substitute?

I may be wrong but I was under the impression that "new coceine" was just kodaks version of crocein scarlet. The crocein scarlet was just a red powder dye that could be mixed up in different strengths. There is a guy on ebay who sells a replacement.

If you are thinking of Kodak "red opaque" (pre-mixed red goop) then I don't know what to recommend - maybe an art supply store could lead you to a replacement product.

Any sort of opaque masking paint would suffice, really, as long as there's a way to get it off the negative later... I'll try latex poster paints.Peels right off, I hear.

Sorry, I mis-read "New Cocaine", and had to have a look-see.
    What troubled me most initially was that B&H might be selling it!

Drew Wiley

The dye is not opaque at all - which is the whole point, because you can layer it
    up incrementally for the specific degree of masking needed. Red Opaque is a different
    product.

I still have an envelope of "Ansco Neo Cocine" which I will keep forever. Karsh's wife was the best at it that I've ever seen at cocine retouching.

I always used it a 5 different dilutions for retouching.

Lynn

Lillian Bass was pretty dam good at it as well.
    My first boss was also very good at it, he was a retoucher in Berlin in the early 40's and worked at one of the biggest studios.
    Amazing what this red powder can do on large negatives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Jones View Post
    I still have an envelope of "Ansco Neo Cocine" which I will keep forever. Karsh's wife was the best at it that I've ever seen at cocine retouching.

I always used it a 5 different dilutions for retouching.

Lynn

Are you masking for multiple toning effects if so elmers glue on the print will work.
    As Drew points out the red opaque was used to block out pinholes and scratches on line film and completely block the light.

the red coccine allows you to hold back shadows , so you can print in hightlights better.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrus View Post
    Any sort of opaque masking paint would suffice, really, as long as there's a way to get it off the negative later... I'll try latex poster paints.Peels right off, I hear.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Are you masking for multiple toning effects if so elmers glue on the print will work.
    As Drew points out the red opaque was used to block out pinholes and scratches on line film and completely block the light.

the red coccine allows you to hold back shadows , so you can print in hightlights better.
    It would be nice to be able to selectively hold back shadows but I was settling for just block things. Elmer's glue huh? My little darkroom stuff shelf is starting to accumulate some very strange substances, including the KYJelly. One wonders what visitors think!

Make your print, then with a brush paint on elmers glue, then tone, rub off the glue and duotone magic.
    Black stockings make very good diffusers.
    Have fun

Quote Originally Posted by cyrus View Post
    It would be nice to be able to selectively hold back shadows but I was settling for just block things. Elmer's glue huh? My little darkroom stuff shelf is starting to accumulate some very strange substances, including the KYJelly. One wonders what visitors think!