Thread: Platinum printing book 1 or 2? Arentz?

Platinum printing book 1 or 2? Arentz?

Hi all
    Is there much of a difference, besides HUNDREDS of dollars, from version 1 and version 2 of the Platinum printing book? Looking to get a used version 1

e

Re: Platinum printing book 1 or 2? Arentz?

I have the 2nd edition and although it's the authoritative source on Pt/Pd printing--it's already out of date in certain areas (e.g., paper tests, digital negatives). You can get a PDF of the 2nd edition directly from Dick Arentz for $75. The NA2 method might not be in the 1st edition--I'm not entirely sure, but I'd consider it a significant omission. I'd probably either go for the 2e PDF or just wing it and research Pt/Pd on the web--all the information is there if you do the research.

I got mine a year ago from camerabooks.com for $45...Second Ed

I was at Dick's home the day the 2nd Edition arrived on his snow covered steps in Flagstaff. I was heading to California and called to see if I could come by and visit. About 30 minutes after I got there, the cartons arrived and we loaded them in the house. I had the first edition from his workshop the previous year. It had been 5 years since the first edition had been published and I was curious why the second book. As is explained in the preface, and I quote Dick, "advances occurred in three specific fields, which have had an unprecedented impact on this medium". He briefly goes into those 3 areas on page xv of the preface:
    1. The Acidification of Paper
    2. Sodium Chloroplatinate (Na2)
    3. The Digital Negative

Also, many of the chapters were expanded upon, there being too many to mention here. I mention the above to offer my opinion that the 2nd Edition has much more information that is appropriate for today. I would not hesitate to get the 2nd Edition over the 1st. For me, it is the reference guide and go-to source with regards to PtPd work. Just my 2 cents...............

TW

Thank you guys. I wound up getting the .pdf and going to Kinko's to print it out. Not really looking for the picture quality in the book but looking at a formulas and tips.