Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Paul Strand in Mexico"

Re: "Paul Strand in Mexico"

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Howk View Post
    I would think that by its very nature a Photogravure can not be as sharp as an enlarged/contact print. Strand's acceptance of it as appropriate for his images reflects the continued influence of Stieglitz.
    I'm looking forward to getting the "Mexico" book even if it is less sharp than some would want.
    I did not find the images "distressingly sharp." I have several early Strand Photogravures and am quite happy with them.
    I think you will enjoy the book -- I certainly did!
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

That should have read "distressingly" unsharp. Sorry.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

slumry

I recently got the Paul Strand: Southwest book from Aperture and was pretty impressed with the plates in it; plenty sharp and great tones. It was my understanding that while he was in New Mexico most of his prints were done in platinum. The book is also a great read. I just ordered the Mexico book based on this thread and look forward to comparing his SW work with the Mexico prints.
    Follow me on Twaddle!

Anything seem a little out of proportion here?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

I just returned from Xalapa, Mexico, where I saw an exhibition of photogravure prints of Strand's work in Mexico by Jon Goodman, at the Instituto de Artes Visuales (or was it Plásticas) of the Universidad Veracruzana. Mexico . To my eye, and I looked at them very closely, the Goodman gravures seemed sharper than the prints in the Aperture book "Paul Strand in Mexico", and with outstanding tonal range as we would expect from a master printer like Jon Goodman. Also, people who have compared them tell me that Goodman's gravures have more shadow density than the original Strand gravures, and my understanding is that he worked with original Strand negatives.

Sandy King
    Last edited by sanking; 17-Jul-2011 at 20:11.
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

I received the book today and have to say that as a reproduction it is ok, in no way did I expect them to be tipped in originals and I'm not the least disappointed. So it is what it is so to speak.

What's interesting to me is the non photo information. I've seen a great many of his prints over the last thirty or forty years and would highly recommend people interested I'm Strand's work seek out the originals if at all possible. They are breath taking.

Curt