Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gold Toned Vandyke

Re: Gold Toned Vandyke

Ed Buffaloe (http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Ferric/ferric.html) wrote: "Selenium toning is best done after fixing, since selenium tends to have a slight reducing effect which is much more pronounced if toning is done before fixing. Simply mix 3 to 5 milliliters of Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner in a liter of water."
    "I believe there is nothing more disturbing than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept!" (Ansel Adams)

https://philippe.grunchec-photographe.over-blog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Philippe Grunchec View Post
    Ed Buffaloe (http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Ferric/ferric.html) wrote: "Selenium toning is best done after fixing, since selenium tends to have a slight reducing effect which is much more pronounced if toning is done before fixing. Simply mix 3 to 5 milliliters of Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner in a liter of water."
    Phillippe, if you tone in gold to completion first then selenium toning will have no effect for toning.

If you want to tone with a selenium and gold toner you have to tone in selenium prior to the gold toner prior to fixing the image.

You have to tone with the least noble metal first. That means you can't tone in selenium to completion and as such the selenium may not have much of an effect.

I've seen VDBs toned in selenium and they look very nice but as I said before selenium and gold don't play well together. The key is to experiment.

You may wish to try 10 grams of KSR per liter of water for selenium toning prior to fixing.

Sandy, as you said in your article, the gold thiourea formula given first tones the highlights (as, I think, do Tetenal Goldtoner and Moersch MT9). Why then not use a formula which tones all densities at the same time (Moersch MT10 for example)?
    "I believe there is nothing more disturbing than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept!" (Ansel Adams)

https://philippe.grunchec-photographe.over-blog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Philippe Grunchec View Post
    Sandy, as you said in your article, the gold thiourea formula given first tones the highlights (as, I think, do Tetenal Goldtoner and Moersch MT9). Why then not use a formula which tones all densities at the same time (Moersch MT10 for example)?

Philippe,

First, the gold thiourea toner that I use can be mixed for a fraction of the cost of Moersch MT10. I know what it contains, and understand how it work. And the fact that it tones first the highlights, then the shadows, is not a disadvantage for me. Will the Moersch MT10 tone a vandyke print to completion? I don't know. Give it a shot and let me know. And if it does work, how much solution is needed to tone to completion a 20X25cm print?

There are clearly many ways to tone vandyke prints. My method is designed to give maximum Dmax with gold toning, and tone to completion. I am not saying it is the only method that can achieve this goal. Perhaps other toners will work equally well.

Sandy
    Last edited by sanking; 9-Aug-2011 at 10:12.
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

I am interested in trying this but am really computer challenged. Is there a website where curves for digital negatives can be downloaded or purchased? I would imagine if the printer and media are the same, only small changes may be needed to the curve. I did a Google search but did not have any luck

Quote Originally Posted by coops View Post
    I am interested in trying this but am really computer challenged. Is there a website where curves for digital negatives can be downloaded or purchased? I would imagine if the printer and media are the same, only small changes may be needed to the curve. I did a Google search but did not have any luck
    Visit DPUG.ORG for some sample or starter curves using QTR, but you will need to install sofyware and be able to deal other computer related issues.

Hi,

i encounter an issue with Clerc's thiourea-gold formula on Van Dyke prints:

When i use this toning formula before fixing the print i observe than the white parts of the image (highlights) become yellowish slowly and continue to become a dirty yellow even in the washing bath after this toning step. The fixing stage does not eliminate this yellow.

This issue reduces my overall contrast, change the color and prevents to obtain clear whites. Its really sad because at the beginning of the toning step the colors are very nice.

If i fix the print before toning this issue does not appear.

I don't understand what's wrong with my process.

Thank you for your help.

Olivier

PS: sorry for my english level

Sandy,
    Thanks for the article.
    I have toned VDB in gold/thiourea toners for about 20 years. I have never taken the time to go through the exhaustive testing you have done. Sometimes I tone to completion, and sometimes not as I am more interested in the final print color than anything else, and of course this varies with the image. I am 84 and assume all of my prints will outlast me by many years, but I really appreciate your expertise and input on this beautiful process.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Sandy,
    Thanks for the article.
    I have toned VDB in gold/thiourea toners for about 20 years. I have never taken the time to go through the exhaustive testing you have done. Sometimes I tone to completion, and sometimes not as I am more interested in the final print color than anything else, and of course this varies with the image. I am 84 and assume all of my prints will outlast me by many years, but I really appreciate your expertise and input on this beautiful process.
    Hi Jim,

Gold toned VDB is a beautiful process when you get it right. But even with all of the testing I still encounter periods when nothing seems to go right. Glad you are still enjoying working with it.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io

You probably are not clearing the print of silver nitrate and residual iron in the water bath developer. Here is what I do.

"Development is two slightly acidic water baths, for two minutes in each, followed by a rinse. It is essential that the bath be slightly acidic to avoid staining from residual iron. The right pH is achieved by adding about a teaspoonful of citric acid per gallon of water."

It is also possible, though less likely, that there is some problem with the toner.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by olive92 View Post
    Hi,

i encounter an issue with Clerc's thiourea-gold formula on Van Dyke prints:

When i use this toning formula before fixing the print i observe than the white parts of the image (highlights) become yellowish slowly and continue to become a dirty yellow even in the washing bath after this toning step. The fixing stage does not eliminate this yellow.

This issue reduces my overall contrast, change the color and prevents to obtain clear whites. Its really sad because at the beginning of the toning step the colors are very nice.

If i fix the print before toning this issue does not appear.

I don't understand what's wrong with my process.

Thank you for your help.

Olivier

PS: sorry for my english level