Thread: Lens cases

Lens cases

I shoot 4x5 landscapes and travel fairly lightly, placing all my gear in an ordi nary backback. Until recently, I have simply put bubble wrap in Tupperware cont ainers to carry my lenses (one for each, total of two lenses). Recently, howeve r, I obtained an Super Angulon 90/8, which is larger than the lenses I carried a s noted above (e.g., Ektar 203). Result: I need another option for protecting t hese lenses in my backpack. Any suggestions? I am open to purchase or do-it-yo urself solutions. Thanks in advance.

Lens cases

Hi Mark, You might want to check out the posting I submitted on the 3 Jan, entitled "Protection". I'm still waiting for delivery so can't comment on them yet, but from the pics in the book they seem ideal.

Lens cases

The best and lightest weight system I've come across is just a hollow rectangular type cloth backpack with a with a size-matched foam rubber insert. I've cut rectangular holes in the foam to fit my camera and individual lenses. Thin lenses re stacked between which are placed a thin piece of foam rubber. (The foam rubber is best cut using an electric knife.) Each lens has lenscaps, such as they are. (See previous posts on protection.) This caps/foam-rubber combination provides plenty of shock-resistant protection.

Lens cases

Outdoor Research (OR) makes a padded cell case that is about 4.5" square and about 4" tall. I put in an extra piece of foam with a hole cut for the rear element. This works very well for my Symmar-S 210, Grandagon-N 75, and Symmar 135. I bought mine at Eastern Mountain Sports (EMS), but you can probably find them in a variety of outdoor stores. You can view them online at www.outdoorresearch.com. I think mine is padded cell #3. This has worked well for me and I do a considerable amount of backpacking.

Lens cases

Rubbermaid Serv 'n Savers are great lens cases. I cut two circles of 1/4" closed cell foam and put one in the bottom and one in the lid. I can even burp them so the tops won't accidently come off. You can see what's inside and I suppose, mark the lids with a Sharpie if you need to quickly I.D. the contents.

Lens cases

Someone previously mentioned www.gnassgear.com on a recent post. They make zippered lens cases that hold 3-4 lenses on lens boards for either 4x5 or 8x10. You'll have to burp yourself, though.