Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vageeswari ULF resource

Vageeswari ULF resource

Vageeswari Camera Works was in India. It closed. However, cameras in storage in the factory are being sold from. Some are not ULF, but many are; sizes are 8x15, 10x12, and 12x15.

Why not use them? I couldn't resist them and bought an assortment, ending finally with the prize of a 12x15 finally. They are made to photograph onto glass plates. I learned how to coat my own glass plates. I also ordered some Ilford negative 12x15 special cut. With a tacky backing board it'll work fine.

Some people fix them up and sell them for more. I fixed mine up and use them as they were designed to be used: with glass plates. There are a few sites devoted to emulsion making and coating. Now they also tell how to coat ULF plates. cough, cough. I was pissed nobody told ME how to do it, but hints were a plenty.

Really though, the cameras are great big ones for little coin. I'd like to hear from other users of dry plate ULF cameras.

Re: Vageeswari ULF resource

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Carter View Post

Why not use them? I couldn't resist them and bought an assortment, ending finally with the prize of a 12x15 finally. They are made to photograph onto glass plates. I learned how to coat my own glass plates. I also ordered some Ilford negative 12x15 special cut. With a tacky backing board it'll work fine.

Michael,

This sounds so intriguing! Why don't you post pictures of your camera?

Asher

So tell us how to get hold of these cameras.

Ian

There are pictures on my web site, studiocarter.com and in another thread for pictures in here the 8x15 one shows a photograph taken with one.
    alx.pk sells them and photolud fixes them up for more. They are in egay under film cameras. A search on the sizes, sellers, or Vageeswari or what have you will show them.

You haven't answered my question.

You said "However, cameras in storage in the factory are being sold from." so how do we buy direct from India, who do we contact ?

I take it English isn't your native language.

Ian

it is ebay not egay
    nuf said

Ebay seller "Photolud" seems to be the main UK seller at a variety of prices as he seems to have done them up nicely.

I have a 8.5x15 that I've started using for wetplate, my studio partner has a 10x12 and 12x15 also to shoot wetplate.

Really good solid cameras, I really like the format of my 8.5x15 although it does limit you to shooting landscape, unless you are feelinbg brave and tilt it over on your tripod head.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fourtoes View Post
    Ebay seller "Photolud" seems to be the main UK seller at a variety of prices as he seems to have done them up nicely.

I have a 8.5x15 that I've started using for wetplate, my studio partner has a 10x12 and 12x15 also to shoot wetplate.

Really good solid cameras, I really like the format of my 8.5x15 although it does limit you to shooting landscape, unless you are feelinbg brave and tilt it over on your tripod head.....

yes, you're spot on here, Mr Photolud seems to have, both access to a supply of these and the only UK seller - they're not cheap but he does of course have to factor in his time for their restoration, imho

andrew

Well, I like them for dry plate use. They don't need to be fixed up much either, unless you like them looking all new.

Just bought (yesterday) a Vageeswari camera, a 10x12. I'm excited to receive it

A link to find any plate holder in 10x12 format? I have one with the camera, but I want another to modify it to make 5x7 or 4x5.