Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alaska backpacking with LF - advice?

Alaska backpacking with LF - advice?

At the start of September I'm making an 8 day trip to Denali NP. I'll be backpacking and camping with a small group, including two guides.

I have decided to take my 4x5 - as I'm sure I would regret leaving it at home. This will be the first time in a long time that I've done multi day backpacking and the first time ever with large format camera kit.

Fortunately, my camera and lens set up is light (Chamonix, Fujinon 300 f8.5; Nikkor M 200 f8; Sironar N 135 f5.6). I'm also in the process of getting hold of a light tripod and head - since my current tripod/head combo is much too heavy for backpacking.

Film wise, I have to decide whether to bite the bullet and order some very expensive Quickloads from Japan Exposures (Acros and Astia seem to be available) or to pack a few holders and my Harrison Pup changing tent and some regular boxes of Acros and Provia (my preferred films).

Currently, I'm thinking that the changing tent option might be best, since it's quite packable and doesn't weigh too much - even with the poles. Also, regular 4x5 film boxes are pretty compact compared to QL packaging. If I go this route I'd probably take 4 holders and 40 sheets of film.

However, I know that after a long day's hiking, loading and unloading film will be a real chore so the QL tempts me (despite the price and even though I'd have to settle for Astia rather than Provia).

What would experienced LF backpackers advise? Quickloads or changing tent?

Any other general advice for backpacking with LF? Where in/on the pack should I carry the tripod? Stuff the LF gear in a day sack inside the main pack?

Re: Alaska backpacking with LF - advice?

Another option I am thinking about is to go with my Mamiya 6 and just leave the 4x5 at home for this trip. Given that I have practically zero experience of multi-day backpacking I wonder whether trying to haul my 4x5 kit is too ambitious on my first time out in the wilderness.

I can shoot the Mamiya much quicker and more spontaneously, don't need a tripod, keep my weight right down and can still bring back some decent sized negs/trannies.

Thoughts?

I'm sure you are aware that you are a glutton for punishment, but here is my two cents.

This is what Quickloads/Readiloads were made for so if it is possible, I would go that route, even if relatively expensive. That saves you the weight/bulk of multiple holders, film storage boxes, changing tent, etc. I would consider a rigid storage case (like Tupperware) for the Quickloads to prevent bending, moisture damage, or general mischief.

If you are shopping for tripods consider the lightest 4-section Feisol tripod and the basic Acratech ball head. You won't find a lighter, more compact combo for the same level of rigidity and cost.

It would hurt, but I would consider a 2 lens outfit unless you really go ultralight with the camping gear. For 8 days, you will need a lot of food so I would put some thought into how to reduce the weight and bulk of that. You will need to decide if you want to take photos as you go or take photos only after setting up camp. That will help determine the packing/accessibility of camera gear.

I don't know how the bugs will be where you are going, but Alaska can be pretty rough. Trapping a lot of bugs inside the bellows can mess up some shots so be mindful of that.

I have never backpacked overnight with LF gear but if I did, I would want the gear stored in its own pack for weather proofing and for carrying from a basecamp. I really like this item:

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/...ak_bagger.html

I use it inside of canoe portage packs for storing fishing tackle. If I used it for camera gear I might fit some closed cell foam around the perimeter for padding.

Well, that's different. I would take the Mamiya with 3 lenses and loads of 120 film. That would save you a lot of weight/bulk for film, holders, tent, boxes - and you might not need a separate light meter as well.

I would still consider a tripod though. Even without sunrise/sunset shots (I rarely take those with B&W film) I would still be taking near-to-far shots with the wide angle and need small apertures for depth of field. A tripod also helps to steady the telephoto shots, especially if I am a little shaky from exertion. At a bare minimum I would take a carbon fiber monopod. If you use a walking staff, you can get one with a camera screw on top to save weight. I have a Feisol CF monopod which feels almost weightless by itself and it works great with the Pentax 67 for travel photography.

Thanks Jerold for the helpful advice. The more I think about it, the more I'm tempted to just run with my Mamiya. I really want to be able to shoot while I'm hiking and the LF set up really doesn't permit that.

Although I'm in good shape, I do expect that I'll find 8 days hiking pretty tiring. Shooting 4x5 can be mentally exhausting and I'm not sure I'll find it that much 'fun' in my exhausted state at the end of each day.

Basically, I reckon I'll probably have more 'fun' shooting 120 on this trip.

falth j

If I were in your shoes, and had to consider whether or not to bring a LF camera, I would mull over these two questions:

1) Do the guides you'll be with, have the trip planned with LF photographic intentions in mind?

2) Do the guides have a targeted itinerary to accomplish and cover each day?

If the guides do not have any photo inclinations, and if they have a targeted itinerary to cover each day, I would leave any thoughts of LF photography behind, and concentrate image capture with a smaller and faster format.

Having been to Alaska on an organized outing, I found that I would never have had the time to haul around and setup a LF camera, as I would have been an annoyance to the rest of the group.

But, on the other hand if you’re an accomplished LF photographer, and can setup and break down your gear quickly without holding everyone else up, you just might have a few opportunities….

Quote Originally Posted by falth j View Post

1) Do the guides you'll be with, have the trip planned with LF photographic intentions in mind?

2) Do the guides have a targeted itinerary to accomplish and cover each day?

The trip has not been planned with LF specifically in mind and the group definitely does have a targeted itinerary to accomplish each day. (We will cover about 50 miles during the 8 days across quite varied terrain). The guides have told me that I'm welcome to bring LF and that there will be good opportunities for photography at the start and end of each day at camp. They have also said that there will be opportunities to shoot photos during the day but it's clear that I'd have to work quickly so as not to slow the group down. I work slowly in 4x5 in the best of conditions and I expect I would be a nuisance to the group. Plus, shooting at the end of the day around camp I expect I'll be knackered and prone to error!

The more I think on it, the more I'm convinced that the whole experience will be more enjoyable for all in the group if I leave my 4x5 at home. With my Mamiya + 50mm I can still shoot some dramatic landscapes with pretty large negs. I might also carry a Nikon F with a pancake lens as a mechanical back up in case the Mamiya fails.

Along the lines of falth's comments, I would call the guide service and run it by them. Backpacking in Denali can be very strenuous. Even on good trails, backpacking for several days on end with a regular pack can be wearing, especially since you have little experience with this. Add the extra weight of camera gear and it could be a big problem. Good guides will generally empty your pack and make you discard unnecessary items before hitting the trail. They have suffered through trips where participants wear down from packs that are too heavy.

On the other hand, if you will be taking MF or LF gear, I would certainly take a tripod. If you don;t use a tripod, you might as well take a P&S camera. Be sure to keep your tripod and camera accessible. If you are tired, you will be very tempted to skip shots simply because of the hassle of getting everything out and then packing it up again.

I would suggest doing several practice hikes with your full backpack and gear. This will help get you conditioned, and also give you a feel for how many pounds you can carry all day, and give you practice unpacking and packing you camera gear. This is all better discovered close to home than in the back country of Denali.

A little tilt will make a huge difference and I doubt that you'll save more than 5 pounds by choosing the the MF kit over your 4X5 kit with Quickloads. The Quickload convenience is huge, especially when you're beat - and you'll be beat. You've got plenty of time to find Quickloads before your departure - they're out there, although the Acros is scarce. And the cost of 40 or 60 Quickloads will be low compared to the overall cost of your trip.

I'll second Jerold's suggestion for carrying a second pack inside your main pack. Having all of your photo gear organized and ready to go will save a lot of time and energy. I use the Go Lite Jam Pack for my gear and it slips in and out of my large pack with ease - it's slightly bulkier than the OR bag, but it has compression straps, a means of carrying a tripod, two mesh pockets and a zippered pocket for hat, gloves, headlamp, insect (and bear) repellant, etc. I believe it weighs a pound.

Another note: I think you'll enjoy your trip more (and ultimately get better shots) if you find time to train before you go. The best way to train for hiking with a heavy load is to hike with a heavy load - beat yourself up, get sore, recover and repeat.

The lenses you carry is a very personal choice, depending on your vision. For what it's worth I would choose the same 3-lens kit. If you had a Fuji 240mm A then it would pair nicely with the 135mm and save you a little weight.

If you plan to use bear repellent, plan to buy it in AK - you can't take it on the plane. In Anchorage, not far from the airport, there's an REI on Northern Lights, across the street is the Bears Tooth for great food, and a half mile away is Keller's Photo - the last pro lab in town. I believe Keller's discontinued E-6 dip-and-dunk but they had plans to replace it with a one-shot system, and they can develop your Acros.

Drew Wiley

I was just checking my wt charts. With a two-lens outfit and a carbon-fiber tripod,
    the wt difference between the M7 and 4x5 with Quickloads will only be three or four
    lbs, or about five lbs difference if you take a film tent. A separate camera bag will
    probably amount to almost as much again, and will probably be regretted as redundant extra weight. I'd wrap gear in bubble packing. The bigger problem will be if your LF shooting style becomes an inconvenience to the rest of the group. In the handful of instances I've taken MF, I've regretted it because, having gone to the effort of going somewhere special, I sacrificed camera movements and returned with smaller negs. But nasty weather or an impatient group can certainly change that dynamic and make you wish for something more spontaneous. What is more important is to work out with your pack to get your shoulders, legs, and lungs in shape. And you need to wear-in the pack system till it fits you and your gear
    comfortably.