Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alaska backpacking with LF - advice?

Re: Alaska backpacking with LF - advice?

The advice to physically prepare is definitely well taken. I'm planning some training hikes in July while over the last couple of months I've stepped up my exercise regime a gear or two. I fully expect the trip to be exhausting but I want to make sure I enjoy it.

The decision as to which camera rig I take - whether 4x5, 120 or 35mm might only be taken at the last minute, after I see how my preparation goes. The weight comparison made by Drew is interesting. I'd love to take the 4x5 but my sense is a smaller camera will give me considerably more freedom - and therefore fun.

Don't underestimate what 4 or 5 extra pounds can do to you on the trail. In an activity where people drill holes in their toothbrush to shave an ounce, 4 or 5 pounds can be a big difference. Especially on difficult terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
    Don't underestimate what 4 or 5 extra pounds can do to you on the trail. In an activity where people drill holes in their toothbrush to shave an ounce, 4 or 5 pounds can be a big difference. Especially on difficult terrain.
    That's for sure Greg. I am certain I will be impressed by Alaska enough to want to return there. So this first time round I think I'll travel light camera-wise (Mamiya or Nikon) and not necessarily make photography the 'prime purpose' of the trip. I guess I should gain more experience of multi-day backpacking before I think about carrying those extra several pounds or making photography my main reason to enter the wild.

Even though we all crave the largest negative possible, it's all about the image at the end of the day. And a strong image can be recorded on 135 or 120 in just the same way that a weak one can be shot to 4x5.

ARS KC2UU

Quote Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
    Another option I am thinking about is to go with my Mamiya 6 and just leave the 4x5 at home for this trip. Given that I have practically zero experience of multi-day backpacking I wonder whether trying to haul my 4x5 kit is too ambitious on my first time out in the wilderness.Thoughts?
    I think this depends on your age and overall physical condition.

I've carried backpacks on strenuous wilderness hikes for years and still do. I carry my Tachihara with all the accessories now in a pack with a light tripod.

But I would not attempt to do it on a multi-day hike. Even though I'm a regular in the gym for over 40-years, and pretty much as strong as ever, now nearing 60 I don't have the endurance I once had.

And don't forget there is other gear you will need to carry too.

My $0.02.

Bob G.
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

Have you considered grafmatics?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by rguinter View Post
    And don't forget there is other gear you will need to carry too.
    Like 8 pounds of DEET?

But it sounds like a fun trip. Wish I was going.

And a shotgun.

Bring a table top tripod and lash it to a tree. Portra 800. Eliminating the tripod will save your butt.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    And a shotgun.

Bring a table top tripod and lash it to a tree. Portra 800. Eliminating the tripod will save your butt.
    The guides will be armed (shotgun or magnum I am told)!

As an aside, I would soak all of my clothes in Permethrin which will help immensely with mosquitoes. It also helps with ticks but I don't know if those are common up there. Does not help much with black flies but nothing does. REI sells Sawyer brand permethrin. I buy mine much more cheaply as a concentrated from from an agriculture store and dilute it in a 5 gallon bucket in order to soak my clothes rather than spray them.

The weight issue is always agonizing to me. You can argue even that some 8x10 kits are no heavier than a pro 35mm kit. But time consumption, bulk, cognitive demands when tired, film management, etc. all factor in. But for black and white I would certainly take the Mamiya over a 35mm setup. Add a lightweight Feisol tripod and ball head and a walking stick with a monopod screw and you are all set.

A good way to shave some ounces is to use Cuben fiber stuff sacks. I get mine from ZPacks.

http://www.zpacks.com/

Last edited by jeroldharter; 4-Jul-2011 at 08:03. Reason: typo

I don't think that you'll need much insect repellent in September. You'll encounter more biting flies (e.g., white socks) than mosquitoes, and I have not found them to be very responsive to DEET. I personally react far more to these bugs than to mosquitoes. Be sure to include Benadryl or some comparable drug in your personal kit.

September can be quite rainy up here with several consequences. You probably know about these, but here there are just in case. An umbrella with a clamp for your tripod will make it easy to set up in a drizzle. Remove the umbrella prior to clicking the shutter to avoid vibrations. I prefer to hike with an umbrella because I seat too much for Gortex, so it doesn't represent extra weight for me. Be sure that you have recently sealed the seams and rain fly of your tent. Finally, river crossings can be challenging because of high water. You may want to take some plastic bags for your camera gear in the event that you slip during a crossing or in case your pack isn't as waterproof as advertised.

Is this an early or late September trip? Each year is different, but you'll find little color by the end of September. It can snow in July in Denali, but it's pretty likely by late September. Do your guides have an alternate plan in the event of heavy snow in the park? Be sure to bring adequate insulation for this possibility.

To get you into the spirit, you should read Tom Walker's "Denali Journal" before going. Tom is a wildlife photographer and writer who lives near the park. He's spent more time in the park than anyone I know. You might also want to look at Ike Waits' "Denali National Park: Guide to Hiking, Photography and Camping." There are very few actual trails in the park, so many of these hikes are cross country. I know that you'll be with guides with their own plans, but this book may increase your sense of familiarity with the area.

In the event you forget anything, Anchorage has two good camping gear stores: REI and Alaska Mountaineering and Hiking (AMH). Stewart's Photo Shop is the most fully equipped photo store in Anchorage, but will have not have much MF and no LF stuff. Camera Service Center has some gear and is probably the best place for repairs. Kellers Custom Photo Lab is where I have my e-6 work done in the event you want to have your film processed before you leave.

Drop me a line if you have any other questions.

Bruce