Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Everybody wants to be a photographer

Everybody wants to be a photographer

I was just reading on the British Journal of Photography that the musician Moby has created a major photobook of his photography. The BJP website had a few images that he made, and to be perfectly honest, his work is nothing to write home about. Seeing this, and seeing all the attention he is getting for a book that is made up of sophomoric images made me very upset and frustrated.

This is upsetting to me because I know so many photographers that have something to say and are actually producing completely unique work that is absolutely beautiful. And the sad fact is that the majority of them will never be recognized for the outstanding work that they produce. And this musician, just decides to now become a professional fine art photographer, and he already has a book published and a line up of exhibitions in New York city. While completely devoted photographers who spend their entire lives working their asses off will never be interviewed by the British Journal of Photography or have anything close to an exhibition in New York city!! I just find it to be very depressing and it says a lot about the media, and the arts.

Why is it so difficult for real artistic talent to be discovered and appreciated by the media.

Thoughts?

Re: Everybody wants to be a photographer

Ya gotta be a celebrity pal!

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

multiplex

$$$

It will blow over soon enough. Relax and enjoy the journey.

Great....Now we'll start seeing famous photographers releasing musical albums....

I'd be watching for the 'second' show....(they can usually buy themselves into the first, but not the second....)

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by KyledeC View Post
    While completely devoted photographers who spend their entire lives working their asses off will never be interviewed by the British Journal of Photography or have anything close to an exhibition in New York city!! I just find it to be very depressing and it says a lot about the media, and the arts.

Why is it so difficult for real artistic talent to be discovered and appreciated by the media.

Thoughts?
    Artistic talent is discovered and appreciated.

On a personal note, my work was published in the British Journal of Photography fifty years ago, and I have prints in the collection of MOMA, New York. However, as gratified as I was by early recognition of my talent, I chose to bow out of the self-promotional game one must play to be a darling of museum curators, directors and publishers. If you want to be depressed, spend a few hours with those folks.

As you suggest, "I have worked my ass off", and am very proud of the work that I have produced over a long career. It is art that I have made for myself, and appreciated by a few for whom I have respect. For me, that is enough.

Sorry for getting off on a personal note. Your point is well understood, and numerous celebrities have published books of their photographic endeavors. Some have also done so with their paintings. As pointed out in previous posts, celbrity status surely helps, but some do have a good eye and talent. I have never subscribed to the thought that "real artistic talent goes undiscovered". Vivian Maier comes to mind; she was surely talented, but chose to be reclusive with her art. Fortunately, she was "discovered".

Everybody should be a photographer and visually articulate. I bet Moby has a great collection of work from photographers he admires, and I've found that other photographers are the best judges, collectors, and inspiration.

As long as Moby didn't bump you from showing in a particular gallery or being published somewhere -- which I doubt was the case -- what's the difference? If you look at Aperture or those portfolio reviews, most of the work is "sophomoric images". Hell most of it is from college professors and it really blows.

If you have a beef, it should be with the editors and curators and gallery owners. But they know showing mediocre Moby (or Michael Stipe) pictures draws people in...

Personally, Jeff Bridges has some cool stuff, so does Brendan Fraser. Diane Keaton is a fine collector and curator. Just because they are celebrities doesn't mean they're lousy artists.

Richard Gere too.

It doesn't have to be good to be art....

It has to be sold as art. SOLD... Marketed. Yes, being a celebrity may add an element, but not in the quality of the art... in the sale of the product as Art. Again Marketing is key in success, not quality of art. The fact is very real in this world, anything can be sold, by proper or even aggressive marketing.

Do you know that doctors and dentists spend a good part of Med School in the business practice of medicine and in courses to train them in marketing their practices. Even then, you only see a portion of these professions in terms of advertising and practice advancement.

All true professionals market. If I were a celebrity, and wanted to venture into another product or profession, of course I would leverage on my celebrity status to be successful, and with that leverage, the quality of my new product/profession would rely less on quality and performance.

Frankly, I have always felt that most of the artists and photographers shoot themselves in the foot by remaining blind to the need to market their work. In fact the worst thing most of them do is turn their work over to galleries or agents (or God forbid Web Site designers) and pay much of their money for marketing without learning much about it.

I have encountered Art Co-ops where all the artists owning shares of the Co-op also do the work of running the business side (often a retail gallery) and sharing in the expenses. I can tick of three reasonably successful co-ops, where the business of marketing brings realization to how to participate in the art market.

So, while a celebrity leveraging his/her fame in other enterprises of marginal quality, it is simply another aspect of what people who achieve success do well....

They understand, and perform the functions of marketing.

I think fanbases of musicians and actors want to be fans of something more than simply a person that acts well or performs/makes music well. It's great to have one thing and do it well, but fans want another aspect of self expression. Too much music and acting is doing things "by the book" following a plan to success so it seems.

This Moby doing photography thing reminds me of Jewel who did poetry. She was highly acclaimed for her music, but panned for her literary skills. But I'm a fan of hers and like her poetry book just the same.

As has been stated, celeb status certainly helps market these things.