Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Everybody wants to be a photographer

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

Re: Everybody wants to be a photographer

My 20 yr.old daughter just informed me today that she wants to be a photographer..

steve

Camera Antipodea Richard Mahoney's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steve M Hostetter View Post
    My 20 yr.old daughter just informed me today that she wants to be a photographer..

steve
    Well I trust that she was supported ... but please ensure that she never has access to this site, as she may find it somewhat less than encouraging. At times, it would be easy for one to come to the conclusion that no one could ever make a living as a `genuine' photographer and that any attempt to do so somehow puts oneself beyond the pale I'm assuming, of course, that she is serious, and actually wants to work as a photographer.

Kind regards,

Richard
    Richard Mahoney
    M: +64-21-064-0216 T: +64-3-312-1699 E: contact@indica-et-buddhica.com

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Mahoney View Post
    Well I trust that she was supported ... but please ensure that she never has access to this site, as she may find it somewhat less than encouraging. At times, it would be easy for one to come to the conclusion that no one could ever make a living as a `genuine' photographer and that any attempt to do so somehow puts oneself beyond the pale I'm assuming, of course, that she is serious, and actually wants to work as a photographer.

Kind regards,

Richard
    Richard,, yeah she said she wants to make $$ at it... I guess I'll have to start shopping for a DSLR when I get some extra $$

Richard,, yeah she said she wants to make $$ at it... I guess I'll have to start shopping for a DSLR when I get some extra $$
    Or perhaps you could save yourself something ... just get her a decent Nikon F or F2 -- without batteries -- and a years worth of BW400CN. She might be irritated at first, but long term, I'm sure she'd thank you for it.

Best,

Richard
    Richard Mahoney

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Mahoney View Post
    Or perhaps you could save yourself something ... just get her a decent Nikon F or F2 ... I'm sure she'd thank you for it.
    I think the quick feedback and lack of film cost makes a dslr a much, much better learning tool. Unless you specifically want to learn about film.

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    I think the quick feedback and lack of film cost makes a dslr a much, much better learning tool. Unless you specifically want to learn about film.
    From memory -- I hesitate to dive into the dust to pull out the volume -- I can recall Escoffier holding forth about cookery and knives: the first, principal lesson, to be mastered by a cook before everything else, was the care and use of knives. It seems to me that it is not very different with driving: there has also always been a strong argument in favour of learning in a paddock in a truck without synchromesh. I'm not sure that a preference for immediate self gratification or for doing things on the cheap is conducive to developing the skills needed to be a decent photographer. Surely a secure grounding in the basics might be more useful?

Kind regards,

Richard
    Richard Mahoney

multiplex

steve

best of luck to her !

it isn't an easy path to follow ...
    make sure she takes business courses
    and learns graphic design and videography to
    supplement photography ... the more skills she
    has the better in this day and age...

john

Downstairs

Somebody once said "If there is on thing that unites all nations, it is the fear that one of our children will want to become an artist".

Quote Originally Posted by cjbroadbent View Post
    Somebody once said "If there is on thing that unites all nations, it is the fear that one of our children will want to become an artist".
    Then I feel bad for my father, who cranked out four of them.

ARS KC2UU

Quote Originally Posted by KyledeC View Post
    I was just reading on the British Journal of Photography that the musician Moby has created a major photobook of his photography. The BJP website had a few images that he made, and to be perfectly honest, his work is nothing to write home about. Seeing this, and seeing all the attention he is getting for a book that is made up of sophomoric images made me very upset and frustrated.

This is upsetting to me because I know so many photographers that have something to say and are actually producing completely unique work that is absolutely beautiful. And the sad fact is that the majority of them will never be recognized for the outstanding work that they produce. And this musician, just decides to now become a professional fine art photographer, and he already has a book published and a line up of exhibitions in New York city. While completely devoted photographers who spend their entire lives working their asses off will never be interviewed by the British Journal of Photography or have anything close to an exhibition in New York city!! I just find it to be very depressing and it says a lot about the media, and the arts.

Why is it so difficult for real artistic talent to be discovered and appreciated by the media.

Thoughts?

Not much talent in his music either.

But he has a strong following.

Such is life...

Bob G.
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.