Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slowing down the development process without diluting or lowering temperature?

Slowing down the development process without diluting or lowering temperature?

I am currently developing with Xtol 1:1/20degC/5min rotary(3010). I am using time as my negative development determinant. I would like to extend the development time without changing the temperature, rotation, or dilution so that I can more precisely fine-tune different effects by altering development time. Is this possible?

Re: Slowing down the development process without diluting or lowering temperature?

Yes, it's possible, but it's not entirely without compromise. You could add a restrainer to your developer, for instance, but it might have an adverse effect on your film speed.

What kind of effects are you wanting to fine-tune?

Re: Slowing down the development process without diluting or lowering temperature?

What film?

I am tuning Foma 100. The 5minute mark is good, but I would like it a bit less dense.. perhaps 4min or so (but I have tried this time yet). However, I feel this might be a little too imprecise to achieve consistently.. so for example, I would like to have the 4minute marke equivalent to 8minutes developing.

I am developing for a scanning workflow..

Octogenarian

Reduce the frequency and amount of agitation.

Gem, the 3010 is on a continuous agitation base.. I dont think I could just stop it.

I think the first thing you should do is test your assumptions. Find the development time that gives you the results you want, and then test it for consistency. There's no point in trying to solve a problem you only suspect exists. Scanning is very tolerant of minor variations in film contrast.

Do test developments at 4 1/2, 5, and 5 1/2 minutes, and compare the results.

You can easily control your times within a couple of seconds.

- Leigh

Xtol preserves film speed, and may even increase it. 5 minutes at 20 is really short for Xtol 1:1. (I think FOMA's recommendation of 5-6 minutes is for undiluted Xtol.) My bet is that you are significantly over exposing your film. Xtol 1:3 works very well and will extend your developing time by about 30%. If you exposure is correct, then I would go to 1:3 to get better working times. But I would start with a proper film test. (Or just be lazy and and shoot a sheet at 1/2 and one at 1/4 your normal exposure and see if the shadows are still OK.)

I can't speak for Foma 100 yet. I'll get some soon.
    In the meantime: Foma 200, exposed at 100, developed in Xtol 1:3, Jobo 3010, Beseler base @ 30-32 RPM, 75F @ 7:45. Works for me.
    I expect the Foma 100 shot at 50 and the time tweaked a bit would also work well.
    5 minutes is way too short when working with a Jobo 3010, motor base and funnel with tube. I was nervous about using 7 3/4 minutes in the summer. I am much more comfortable with 10 minutes @ 68F. That only happens in Houston in the winter.
    Good luck.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei