Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: long throw cable release

long throw cable release

Okay. I did the obligatory search and came up basically flat so I''m hoping someone will be able to help more directly.

I'm shooting my 240mm wide field Ektar and my ancient and formerly trusty cable release decided to shoot it's last exposure. None of my new ones will work the plunger depth needed for the Ilex Universal #5 shutter.

Of course, Calumet and the others I've looked at list tons of releases but not a word about the length of extension for the plunger.

With all of the ancient shutter shooters out there, does anyone know of a source for current cable releases that will fire the grand old Ilex shutters?

Thanks, everyone!

Tim
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Re: long throw cable release

I think you should be looking for:

Prontor Professional Shutter cable -
    or Sinar Copal shutter cable.

The first was still able as new last year and the second probably still is.
    These are in short supply, with rising prices as a consequence.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Lenser,

I have a small (11") cable release that has a very long throw that I got for free which you can have for nothing. Send me your mailing address and I'll pop it in the mail to you.

A few years back I lost my cable release - a 20" locking release that was fabric encased with a pliable plastic - while on a night shoot. I went in the camera store and bought the 40" version which I was sorry for but kept it and returned and purchased the 20" version which is my regular CR for small - 4x5 format cameras.

Then in April I purchased an 8x10 camera and last month a 360mm Schneider Symmar-S f6.8 with a Compur 3 shutter that requires a longer throw than that of the 20" CR. However I found that the 40" version has a longer throw. Good thing I found that out while at home and not out in the field with the camera! Now I'm glad that I did make that "stupid' purchase as I need the extra length and throw for the 8x10.

If you have a camera store nearby, they should let you open the package to check out the throw before you purchase it. Take your current one with you, or better, the lens when purchasing.

Anyway, let me know if you want the CR.

Thomas

Thomas, Thanks for the kindness. I'll PM my address shortly.

Of course, the first thing I did was head to the local camera store, a fairly significant one before they abandoned everything traditional to the needs of the digital world, Not a traditional cable release in the house. Frustrating!

Thanks.

Tim
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

For Ilex 5 shutters you need a slightly longer throw than most typical cables have. Look for prontor or leica cables. They don't all work but but many do. You can usually tell from a picture that shows the lever. A longer lever translates to a longer throw.

Prontor and Leica cables are said to work, as others have stated; I have also seen it said that air operated cables have a longer throw. I have no experience other than with a Prontor which came with an old B&J lens I had once; it worked fine. I wish I had kept the release when I sold the lens.

When I needed one last year I made my own. Ain't pretty but it works fine. Take a spare cable release and cut through the inner and outer housings; the inner housing might be coiled spring wire so will present the greatest difficulty. I used wire cutters and needle nosed pliers and carefully unwound about 3/8", then cut it off. Pull the remaining housings together and secure with duct tape; voila! Works fine.

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Do a search of this forum for 'long throw cable release'
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Clever idea, Mike. I may try that if other searches fail.

John, I already did that and got tired of wading through tons of non-related and non-specific information that was in almost every response. Hence the question being asked here.

I have a number of lenses using Ilex shutters and got tired of sorting through my cable release collection to find the right one over and over. After some research I found only one that really claimed to be long throw and those were the Gepe Pro with the red casing. I was hesitant about the $29 price but now I like them as they are easy to find with their red coloring, and they are well made.
    John Youngblood
    www.jyoungblood.com

Quote Originally Posted by mandoman7 View Post
    I have a number of lenses using Ilex shutters and got tired of sorting through my cable release collection to find the right one over and over. After some research I found only one that really claimed to be long throw and those were the Gepe Pro with the red casing. I was hesitant about the $29 price but now I like them as they are easy to find with their red coloring, and they are well made.
    That release is available in black, white, blue or red covers.