Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for First 4x5 LF Camera!

Looking for First 4x5 LF Camera!

Dear All,
    I want to start discovering the amazing venture of 4x5 Sheet film. Many choices and little knowledge by me !

I want mainly shoot at home studio that I'm building (Really Small) as I want to try product photography with Large format and plus very few outing here and there. My first choice was Graflex crown as it's kind of portable LF Camera. I might not need many movements for now as I'll consider it a learning stage. I'm just afraid if I get one from ebay it might have problems and then it would be a real PITA to try fixing!

any suggestion with a starter kit and where to get it fully working condition?

All I need is a camera and Film holders and a lens (I guess )

Any info would be appreciated.

Regards,
    Mohammed

Re: Looking for First 4x5 LF Camera!

Hi Mohammed,

There will be lots of suggestions given to you. I just wanted to tell you that I have an Ebony RSW in excellent condition that I will be putting up for sale. The RSW is a perfect camera for landscapes and will take up to a 180mm lens for portraiture, etc. I have had the camera for 2 years and have not used it much. PM if you become interested.

Kind regards,
    Darr

Hello Mohammed,

welcome to the LFP forum. An Ebony is surely a very nice lightweight camera, although I'd suggest you consider a monorail unless you're planning on walking long distances with it. Check out the articles on the main page:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.info/

Regards
    Héctor Navarro Agraz

Quote Originally Posted by mob81 View Post
    Dear All,
    I want to start discovering the amazing venture of 4x5 Sheet film. Many choices and little knowledge by me !

I want mainly shoot at home studio that I'm building (Really Small) as I want to try product photography with Large format and plus very few outing here and there. My first choice was Graflex crown as it's kind of portable LF Camera. I might not need many movements for now as I'll consider it a learning stage. I'm just afraid if I get one from ebay it might have problems and then it would be a real PITA to try fixing!

any suggestion with a starter kit and where to get it fully working condition?

All I need is a camera and Film holders and a lens (I guess )

Any info would be appreciated.

Regards,
    Mohammed
    Do a search and you'll get lots of advice. basically it boils down to some variation on

Crown Graphic, light, cheap, limited movements.
    Toyo 45 series, heavier, more expensive ($600-ish), good movements
    Sinar F series, slightly more difficult to use in the field, cheap, modular, lots of movements, lots of accessories, also cheap.

I started with a Crown. I got my kid a Crown to start her off with. I vote Crown Graphic.

--Darin

I was in the same boat as you. Just wanting a basic camera. I got a Sinar F with a normal 15cm lens. I don't need it anymore and it comes with everything you need to start shooting.

The Sinar F is about as basic as you can get. It is a rail camera and almost everyone in LF has had experience with one so you'll have no problems finding answers to the questions you ask.

If you are interested, it comes with everything you need. Body (which has been recently repaired to fix a flaw that all Sinar F front standards have), lens (Fujinar-W 15cm f/6.3 SC with Seikosha-SLV Shutter), dark cloth, loupe, 2 holders and some film(Neopan Acros 100 or something else or maybe none since my friend might buy it from me first). All you need is a tripod and you are set.

Where you located? And what previous experience do you have with film photography?
    Social Engineer

Thanks for every suggestion and opinion.
    I was looking for a camera such as the crown graphic or its size! The Sinar F looks huge which I'm not looking for for the time being.

The ebony looks good in size and such. Where I can find a crown graphic known seller instead of taking the risk and buy it from eBay?

Jim Ewins

I have a 4x5 crown, a B&J monorail and a Wisner Expedition all gathering dust. I live in Seattle if you wish to talk. or email jimewins@comcast.net

Best place in here, on the classifieds board. But you have to have more posts or something to see it. Just participate for a bit and learn more and you'll soon qualify...

--Darin

The Crown is not the only similar camera to consider. The Speed Graphic of the same age has a focal plane shutter, permitting the use of less expensife barrel lenses. Burke & James made a camera somewhat like the Crown, but with a rotating back. Busch made a similar camera with a small unique lens board. There is also Meridian and a few others. Many people rely on stores like B&H Photo Video, Midwest Camera Exchange, and KEH.

For product photography I would think you would want a monorail with a 210mm lens.

You also will need a dark cloth. A loupe will also really help out. I own a cheap Toyo 3.6x and it works fine.