Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scitex Eversmart Pro II Software + Computer

Scitex Eversmart Pro II Software + Computer

Accidentally, I stumbled over a Scitex Eversmart Pro II, with Floppy ("Eversmart (pro) Parameters") and couldn't resist for 1€...

It turns on fine - but now I need a fitting computer!? Do I need an old Mac OS9.2 with a G3 or G4? Or does Mac OS X also work as long as it's PowerPc (G5)? Or can I even use a new Macbook with external SCSI? What about the Oxygen 2.3.5 Software offered on the bay? Good choice? Does it even work without a hardware dongle? Shouldn't the Pro II have Firewire instead of SCSI?

What else do I have to keep in mind?

Questions, questions, questions...

Re: Scitex Eversmart Pro II Software + Computer

Quote Originally Posted by georgl View Post
    Accidentally, I stumbled over a Scitex Eversmart Pro II, with Floppy ("Eversmart (pro) Parameters") and couldn't resist for 1€...

It turns on fine - but now I need a fitting computer!? Do I need an old Mac OS9.2 with a G3 or G4? Or does Mac OS X also work as long as it's PowerPc (G5)? Or can I even use a new Macbook with external SCSI? What about the Oxygen 2.3.5 Software offered on the bay? Good choice? Does it even work without a hardware dongle? Shouldn't the Pro II have Firewire instead of SCSI?

What else do I have to keep in mind?

Questions, questions, questions...

The least complicated solution is to run the scanner with OS 9.2.2 with a MAC G4. You will need to install a SCSI card, best for this scanner is the Adaptec 2906.

You could also run the scanner with one of the early versions of OSX with a SCSI to Firewire connection, but getting this to work will be more complicated.

You don't need a dongle for the software, but you do need a special calibration transparency sheet. It is tabloid size so you probably know if you have it or don't. If you don' t have the calibration sheet you will need to buy or borrow one before you can install your software because it goes through a series of diagnostics checks and must have the calibration sheet to work.

There is a Scan Hi-End forum on Yahoo with a files section from which you can download various software and installation manuals for Eversmart scanners. Several people on that list are also very knowledgeable about Eversmarts.

Sandy King
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

...Do I need an old Mac OS9.2 with a G3 or G4? Or does Mac OS X also work as long as it's PowerPc (G5)? :
    ProII will work with anything PowerPC from G3 to G5 to most recent models. SCSI or Firewire. Firewire will require a SCSI to FW adapter.
    SCSI is only reliably supported with up to MAC OS 9.2.2 and I hear MAC OSX 10.2 (could never find one, so no experience)
    For MAC OSX 10.3 and later one must have a SCSI to FW adapater

... What about the Oxygen 2.3.5
    For that you will need a PowerPC MAC with MAC OSX 10.3 and a SCSI to FW adapater
    A very good software!

Since you have no software at all I think the right start would be to get a copy of compatible with ProII oXYgen. Read the HW requirements for it and get the approriate computer, OS and optionally SCSI to FW.

SergeyT.

Thank you very much.

I've ordered oXYgen 2.3.5 and go with a G5.

I need a Rotac Firewire->SCSI? Hmm, let's see where I can find one of those. Iomega not an alternative?

The calibration slide costs 250$!!!? That's insane! Any alternative (it will be hard finding someone in Germany at all)? Isn't the calibration data on the floppy? Or what is it for?

This will be a tough month...

Thanks in advance!

I've visited the yahoo-group (those still exist!?) and read some stuff over here - but it's hard to overview the messages written over all these years...

Ratoc is here : http://www.amazon.com/Systems-FR1SX-...9&sr=8-1-fkmr0
    You will also need one of those : 05860 - External SCSI-2 MD50F to SCSI-1 C50M Adapter

Where did you get the quote for the slide from?

The data on the disk is only good for as long as the scanners params and adjustments did not change since the time the calibration data was stored. The bulbs are getting older and it is hard to believe the adjustments were not affected during the move of that monster...

If you are planning on scanning slides then consider getting or making masks to fight the optical flare...more info on how to make them is on yahoo group.

What!? 120$ for this little plastic toy... And the sellers don't even send to Germany! And I need an AC-adapter...
    Man, I'm getting punished for getting an Eversmart for 1€ and I'm not even sure if it works... ;-)

Does OXYgen 2.3.5 work with SCSI on an older OS?

Has anybody tried an Alternative SCSI->FW-adapter from Iomega or Belkin?

As I said, the Ratoc is not available in Germany, not even used.

Of course the calibration will be off, but I want to see if it works at all!

@SergeyT
    I think the price for the slide was brought up somewhere and coming from Genesis-equipment.

What!? 120$ for this little plastic toy... And the sellers don't even send to Germany! And I need an AC-adapter...
    Man, I'm getting punished for getting an Eversmart for 1€ and I'm not even sure if it works... ;-)

Does OXYgen 2.3.5 work with SCSI on an older OS?
    I ordered my Ratoc Adapter from Ratoc´s Onlineshop. No problem. They shipped it to Germany. Georgl, you don´t need an AC-Adapter for the Ratoc. It works flawlessly with my Supreme and a G4 Quicksilver.

Juergen

Call genesis directly and you might be surprised with the price for the slide they give you
    Yuo still will need the slide to do any sort of scanner tests.

I second that no AC adapter is needed for Ratoc

Thanks for the advice! I will have to think about the options one moment. Rather getting an old Mac with OS9.2 and internal SCSI (the chart states "older than 2.3.5" - so it doesn't work?) or stick with the G5 + Ratoc?

I've asked for the price of the calibration slide - let's hope it's not 250$. Otherwise I would have to find one to borrow against a fee.

I seriously hope it won't be a dead end like my Howtek (which was not that cheap, actually).