Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Predicting sunrise/sunset

Re: Predicting sunrise/sunset

On the USNO site, I recommend using http://www.usno.navy.mil/USNO/astron...rvices/mrst-us if you’re in the US, and http://www.usno.navy.mil/USNO/astron...ces/mrst-world if not. In addition to rise and set times, you get rise and set azimuths, transit times and altitudes, and you can get the data for several days. The one slight drawback is that you need separate queries for the Sun and the Moon, but the overall effort is still less.

With trying to keep this as simple as possible, have you tried Paul Neave's site, Flash Earth and Planetarium?

Locate your position on the globe in Flash Earth, then switch over to Planetarium.
    You can then enter any time or day; past, present, or future. Alternating right clicks allows you to freeze the sky, or move around.
    The site will show you the exact times that the sun or moon will rise or set in your locale, and show a simulation of sky brightness during sunsets and sunrises.

Using the time of day indicated on the site, and equipping yourself with a compass, you will have an effective and simple tool for locating the position of the sun or moon, any time of day or night.

In trying to determine the extent of shadows or reflections off buildings, nothing beats actual observation, but the Neave site will show you the exact times you'll need to be in position.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotah Jackson View Post
    Why don't you go outside and LOOK AT THE LIGHT.

The sun rises in the East, sets in the West.

That simple fact has worked for photographers from William Henry Jackson to Edward Weston to Sally Mann and many others.
    damn good idea. let me run out and see what the sunrise will be like in the smokies at oconaluftee overlook on aug 23 this year. i will be back in a minute to let you know! i'll bring the ipad with TPE so I will be certain to see the August light correctly this fine July morning

I use Google earth to tell where the sun will be at any location and any date and specific time past or future.

Download Google Earth (make sure to unclick the two boxes in the midde of the page)
    http://www.google.com/earth/download/ge/agree.html

1) Open Google Earth
    2) Go to the location that you're interested in
    If you're wanting a sunset face West, sunrise will be East
    3) Click on the Sun button (see attached image)
    4) Use slider bar to adjust the date and time wanted
    5) Here's the tricky part, pan around in Google Earth to see the
    shot that you're looking for ( GE takes some getting used to panning,
    zooming and orbiting)

It'll also show the moon rise and set.

Ben
    Last edited by captivelight; 18-Jul-2011 at 19:19. Reason: Image didn't show
    "I love the smell of mercury in the morning."