Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tank Processing: How to Use Less Chemistry?

Tank Processing: How to Use Less Chemistry?

Hi,
    I recently got some 8x10 film hangers and Kodak tanks, and was going to try processing some x-ray film, when I measured out the quantity of solution needed to cover the film whilst in the tanks.
    It was about 10-11 litres, nearly 3 US gallons.
    Now, I shoot maybe 4-6 sheets at a time, let's say 12 sheets per week, and I can't justify using 10 litres of one-shot developer for 12 sheets.
    On the other hand, I don't want to wait weeks to process a lot of film just to justify using so great a quantity of chemicals.
    I'm about to head off to Ikea to see if they have anything that would fit a few 810 hangers, but in a slimmer profile.
    Anyone have any suggestions on smaller home-made tanks, easily available?
    Thanks in advance.

Re: Tank Processing: How to Use Less Chemistry?

What about an air tight top, and replenishment? I've done it in the past, and it works well. There is some advantage to the excess silver in the developer as well, from what I have heard. With replenishment, the developer should last a number of months as well.

Jon,
    An airtight top is a good idea, as is making a slim tank, capable of holding 4-6 hangers.
    I don't like replenishment, as it leaves me unsure of the strength and quality of the developer.

Thanks

Having used replenishment for 40 years I have to say think again, actually it's very consistent and ideal for your purpose.

Most people forget that developers like D76/ID-11 were designed for replenishment most common way of working and gives higher quality than the same developer used one shot or dilute.

Ian

that's why i abandoned the tank idea for large stuff and went with tubes..that being said, however, i have recently had an idea which may make tank easier on the chemistry volume---put in dummy items that take up the volume in the unused space--wedge in some styrofoam---it'll float unless it's wedged in there---maybe even make a styrofoam insert with slots cut in it to slide the hangers in ...give it just enought space---if you get the slots thin enough, you can do one-shot processing----but styrofoam would wear and break wiith steel hangers in /out...but...hey---it's a start---

OR somethig inflatable--baloon...you know---just take up the space.

John,
    That's a fantastic idea; I would think that the styrofoam would be more likely to be eaten away by fixers and such, but hey, it's a start.
    Thanks!

hacker extraordinaire

Replenishment is the only practical way to go with large tanks. It's not that scary. I used to maintain replenished D23. In my experience, the stuff is just unkillable. I now use one-shot with tray processing, partly because I shoot less, partly because I lost some shadow speed with the D23.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

Why not ditch the hangers, put the tank on its side, close off the top, open the upper side.

My 10x12 "trays" can use as little as 2 liters, if I'm not doing many sheets at once. I use the developer "One shot".

bob

You might look for X-ray process tanks. Back around 1986/7 one of my suppliers made small X-ray process lines, the tanks were quite narrow about 2"-3" (5cm - 7.5cm) but larger than 10"x8". He was manufacturing them under contract so wasn't permitted to ell them himself. His tanks were Polypropylene but you can get them in stainless steel.

Another option would be to make a wooden mould and make tanks from black fibre-glass. It's easier than it sounds.

Ian

Dave Karp

There are also 1 gallon containers out there. These will hold an 8x10 hanger.