Thread: Cooke Ental II Enlarging Lenses?

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Cooke Ental II Enlarging Lenses?

Just wondering if anyone knew how they would compare with a modern enlarging lens? I don't know when they were made, though they're late enough to be coated. I believe they're Tessars, so corner sharpness may be a concern, althou a 210mm Ental II might be long enough that it's not an issue.

I've done a pretty serious search and can't find much on them at all. But I've always liked the Cookes...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Re: Cooke Ental II Enlarging Lenses?

I used them in my University (student) darkrooms in the early 70's and before that at School, very good lenses and coated. They were very sharp lenses, but I rarely if ever needed to use wide open. Back then they were regarded as the best enlarger lenses ever made.

Not sure whether the Ental II were Tessar types like the earlier ones, maybe not as they were longer (front to rear glass surfaces) and coating meant more elements became practical, there's often more light scatter in enlarger lenses.

A quick glance in a 1955 BJPA and it's the Ental, I've every copy since then so should have a review of the Ental II from the year of the release, that may indicate how many elements. TTH stopped advertising regularly after that, they were badly let down by their new owner Rank who were only interested in their cine lenses.

Ian

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Thank you, Ian. I think this will make my wanted list, along with the Rodagon, El Nikkor, and Componon-S. Whatever pops up reasonably cheap first wins!
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

The VM is unclear and incomplete:

The Ental series were one of the leading postwar types, widely used in the UK. They seem to be forcaste but not yet named in a note in B.J.A. 1947, p181 where f3.5/50mm, and f4.5/80 and 108mm are mentioned as due. Two series were noted, as Ental and Ental 11, and sales certainly go back to the 1950's or earlier.
    These are fine lenses but ones to buy with care as darkroom use can often lead to damage by damp (fungus) and scratches. This is a case where a number of old lenses have been rejected for these reasons before a good one was found. They often use heavy element glass and can be warm toned. Ental 11 may be from
    11/1960 to judge from a sales leaflet.

Ental f3.5 50mm for 24x36mm format
    f4.5 80mm for 60x60mm, and 108, 127mm for larger formats.
    Ental f3.5 50mm
    f4.0 3.25 (80mm) Q15 type (Note the 1955 advert gives f4.5 here.)
    f4.5 108mm Q15 type. This was for 65x90mm
    f4.5 5in (127mm) for 80x110mm
    f4.5 152, 190, 210, 266mm Q19 type, 5-glass. These may be f6.3 in longer sizes.
    Ental 11 was made in f3.5, 50mm; f4.0, 82.5mm; f4.5, 108, 152mm; f5.6, 190, 210, 266, 317mm
    In the VM, Q15 means tessar type and Q19 means heliar type.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post

In the VM, Q15 means tessar type and Q19 means heliar type.
    I'll look at what the 1947 BJP Almanac actually says tonight, meanwhile this is the 1952 advert for the plain "Ental". I do have a high res version if anyone wants a copy.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    V is for Vague

The BJPA 1947 does give details of 4 new series of TTH lenses but the first is projector lenses, the second the 4 enlarger lenses 50mm, 80mm, 108mm and 5" with no nme. The third series are high quality taking lenses for a British MF SLR camera (not named) and the fourth fast Atal f1.4 & f1.65 16mm cine projection lenses.

The enlarger lenses were un-named there's no mention of Ental.

Ian