Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LED safelight wavelength?

LED safelight wavelength?

I a planning on constructing a LED safelight for my darkroom. I want to use Lamina Light Engines LEDs. These are a ceramic substrate with many LED dice attatched. There is a red (618 nm) and an amber (589 nm) available. Both can be run at up to 18 watts and cost around $20. I do plan to include a current regulator with a brightness knob. Do you think the amber one would be safe? It should be really close to the Thomas sodium safelight. The LEDs do need a heatsink and current regulation to operate.

http://www.laminaceramics.com/products/bl2000.aspx

Re: LED safelight wavelength?

Save yourself the trouble and buy one of these lamps:

http://www.optiled.biz/products/products.html

Scroll down to the "Festival" model - it comes with a standard household base so just screws in any fixture.
    You'll notice in the .pdf they supply, a spectral distribution chart. These lamps are very sharp cutting and I've found the red and red/orange to be safe in my little darkroom for seven minutes (thats as long as I tested). Super bright and super safe.

I think someone wrote that they are now avaiable on eBay. I bought mine direct from the company several years ago.

if you are printing colour then red is NOT good!

589nm is the same as sodium which is used for colour printing.
    I use a duka 50 which uses a sodium lamp. For B+W I use its red diffuser which gives me very long safe times for B+W. Over 20 minutes for all papers I have tested providing it is not turned up too bright.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ambrose
    You'll notice in the .pdf they supply, a spectral distribution chart. These lamps are very sharp cutting and I've found the red and red/orange to be safe in my little darkroom for seven minutes (thats as long as I tested). Super bright and super safe.
    The link leads to a "The page cannot be found" message. Anyone know whether that's just a temporary problem or indicative that OptiLED is changing the FESTIVAL's specifications?

Sal,

I just tried the page from the link I posted and it works for me - you might try again.
    Scroll down a bit and you'll find a .pdf to download.

Henry

I have the Barbieri Colorlamp 50 safelamp and when I dis-assembled it, I noted that in addition to the (orange) LEDs there was also some form of sheet plastic filter. (The filter had got our of alignment with the aperture so needed re-alignment.) The emitted colour is a sort of orange/amber, and brightness can be varied.

There used to be a website describing it, but that's now disappeared.

Can't speak for colour, but I use a 590nm(ish) Lumiled in my darkroom and it is fine for over 15mins with MGIV and Kentmere Fineprint - I have to dim it as it's too bright otherwise and I can't see to dodge/burn with too much light on the easel...

Cheers, Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ambrose
    Sal,

I just tried the page from the link I posted and it works for me - you might try again.
    Scroll down a bit and you'll find a .pdf to download.

Henry
    Just tried it again at home with the same result. Perhaps the file is in your cache from a previous viewing, Henry. I emailed the manufacturer right after my first post with the question; no reply yet.

aaaahhhh.........

I was referring to the web page not the .pdf. I see now that the .pdf is not there.

I do have this info from their on-line store -- http://www.lightworld.com/optiled/index.asp?id=4
    Red = 626 nm
    Amber = 590nm

And from memory, they cut off about 10nm either side of those values.