Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hinge And Tilt Angle

Hinge And Tilt Angle

Hi, I wonder if there are equations to calculate the hinge and tilt angles for a simultaneous tilt and swing. I refer to Harold M. Merklinger's theories on the subject. Thank You, Martti

Hinge And Tilt Angle

The proper place for Merklinger's theories and equations is the trash can. He manages to make confusing some very straight forward determinations.

Hinge And Tilt Angle

Hey Ellis, I guess like me you did not understand a darn thing he was talking about..lol. Well I don't mean not understand, but after I went through his book, If I was to do all those calculation it would take me 2 hours to focus my camera.....lol.

Hinge And Tilt Angle

Well said Ellis ! Months before I ordered my LF camera I thought to find what I could about LF focusing techniques, and came across the usual suspects - Adams? ? The Camera?, Strobels? ? View Camera Technique?, and of course the ever-confusing Mr. Merklinger. I actually deferred my purchase because of his writings. He has some QuickTime movies on his web site which are useful, but his writings would either frustrate you or put you to sleep depending on your mathematical education. After reading every thread on this forum related to focusing, I remember most a little ditty someone posted ?.. ? focus on the far, tilt for the near, then focus and tilt ?till all is clear ?. For modest architectural and most landscape applications, those sixteen words will serve you better than Merklingers? tomes.

Hinge And Tilt Angle

Merklinger's calculations can confuse the heck out of anyone. If you are looking for a practical tool to use I recommend Bob Wheeler's Vade Mecum software package. The tilt and focus and do it again method still gets used for most of my photos. Having Vade Mecum in the pocket does help when frustration takes over. A few quick calculations and you sometimes realize you are trying to get things in a plane of focus that simply can't be done. Vade Mecum has four methods to calculate tilt and a host of other useful tools.

Hinge And Tilt Angle

Hey Dave woulnd't have been great if he had put the manual in word instead of PDF? Any way, Dave is correct this little program does all the calculations very easy.

Hinge And Tilt Angle

Martti:

If you would like to use Merklinger's approach, it would be easiest if you hired a could survey crew to map the scene and make the calculations.

Hinge And Tilt Angle

I don't share the opinion expressed in this thread concerning the lack of clarity of Harold M Merklinger's writings. His Hinge rule is, in my opinion, a simple and efficient way of determining the tilt angle. Moreover his QuickTime movies helped me a lot to understand the effects of the various view camera movements on the position of the plan of sharp focus.

Hinge And Tilt Angle

If you get caught out in the field without all the formulas and gizmos, you might try a peek at the ground glass. It will show you what happens when you move something.

Regards,

Hinge And Tilt Angle

doug,

exactly.