Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5x7 enlarging lenses?

Re: 5x7 enlarging lenses?

Hi Mark,

I went through a similar process 10 years ago when I put together my Zone VI system. I have used Componon-s and APO Componons for years on smaller formats.

I ended up with the 180mm Componon-S and am very happy with it. It had/has fine coverage to the corners of my 5x7 negs so no fuzzies...your bigger issue is to ensure that your enlarger is aligned well at your exact magnification and focusing position and that you use a glass negative carrier (I found focal point ZoneVI carrier with AN Glass to be excellent).

I compared the componon-S to the older componon and saw a definite difference in close-value separation and flare. I cannot comment on the Rodagons/Nikkors.

Best of luck in assembling your outfit. The Zone VI is a great enlarger for 5x7. Like all systems, it has its quirks, but you can get a lot of high-quality use out of it.

George

Michael Alpert

Mark,

I think any of the high-end enlarging lenses will provide what you need. I use a 210mm Rodagon with a 5x7 Omega enlarger and an Aristo cold-light head. The lens is somewhat old, but I haven't up-graded from it because I see that my prints are limited by the resolution of photographic paper, not by the enlarging lens or the resolution of the negative. For modest enlargements such as you are contemplating, the resolution of the paper will be your limiting factor, assuming that you have your technical photographic practice in order. In other words, your prints are going to be as sharp as they can possibly be. One more point: I have found that I do not need or want to use a glass negative-carrier. Using a few short pieces of "Magic" tape on the edges of the negatives (to gently pull them flat) works as well, without adding the problems of Newton Rings and more surfaces for dust.

My 210 El Nikkor has prominent click stops. I've been very pleased with it for 5X7 and was delighted to find it handled 8X10 as well.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I have the factory alignment tool for the enlarger, and have checked it; only very slightly off and easily corrected. I agree with Michael that glass carriers can be more trouble than they're worth as far as results go, especially with a Coldhead that doesn't generate heat to warp the negative during exposures. But I'll likely be doing glass plates anyways, so it's academic.

Guess I'll just keep an eye out for the Rodagon, El Nikkor, and Componon-S, and see which pops up as a good deal first!
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."